General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need to know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Need to know what to do

Alright guys... I cant stand the heat anymore without an A/C and I have found 2 people selling compressors for around 80$.

Im trying to see if it is for sure my A/C compressor that needs replacing and what I need to do to replace it or if im better off taking it to a shop to get fixed.

So how can I troubleshoot to see if its the a/c compressor thats bad? I had mentioned in my other thread that when the a/c is turned on a really loud noise comes from what I think is the compressor. Sounds like air pressure is being released.... I cant really explain how it sounds. Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright well one of the people said they would sell me all of the A/C components for 100$.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM

mine rattles alittle kind of like a rod knocks, if you look at he compressue pully where the belt goes add a can of R134 if the clutch starts to turn compressure my be fine, you can get A/C oil as well add it and see if it quites down, next you'll have to check under the glove box that where the evaporator is they move around alot and can get hole worn on the sides, mine did and i JB welded the leak its lasted 2 years, if you take it in they want to replace the hole system for the warrenty about 700 good luck take your time and shop for cheap parts ie Ebay Wolesaleparts.com and any of the sponser of the forum

Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by rampcrawler
mine rattles alittle kind of like a rod knocks, if you look at he compressue pully where the belt goes add a can of R134 if the clutch starts to turn compressure my be fine, you can get A/C oil as well add it and see if it quites down, next you'll have to check under the glove box that where the evaporator is they move around alot and can get hole worn on the sides, mine did and i JB welded the leak its lasted 2 years, if you take it in they want to replace the hole system for the warrenty about 700 good luck take your time and shop for cheap parts ie Ebay Wolesaleparts.com and any of the sponser of the forum

Ya just when it turns on a loud sound comes out. Kind of sounds like this ---
Truck Recycling Air Brake Foot Pedal Sounds

But really loud when it happens.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If someone could please give me some answers. Looking at buying this, this weekend.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds a re hard to figure out here

When it is on does it cool any? Are you getting voltage to the compressor clutch coil?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sound could be relief valve opening due to blocked high side of system.

Your best bet is to simply rebuild the system. At this age, that is usually what is necessary to get good AC performance for the long term. This AC system is easy to rebuild. Here are the basics:

1) Remove the receiver/drier and compressor. Inspect compressor oil for damaged pistons/cylinders. Look for aluminum shavings in oil in compressor and receiver/drier. If OK, adjust clutch gap to spec, Make sure the idler bearing is good and replace if necessary. Replace compressor if any indications of aluminum shavings.

2) If aluminum shavings are detected, it's best to buy a used evaporator and condensor. It is impossible to totally flush these parts and aluminum shavings will damage new compressor.

3) If compressor is OK, remove evaporator and replace all orings on expansion valve and feedback bulb.

4) Replace all ac system connection Orings.

5) Flush all hoses w/ laquer thinner.

6) Reassemble system leaving new receiver/drier to last. Install 5 oz DE PAG oil in condensor, compressor, and new receiver/drier.

7) Vacuum for 1/2 hour and check that vacuum holds for at least 15 mins w/ almost no drop.

8) If good vacuum another 1/2 hr and charge w/ spec amount of R134a.

Enjoy your nice cool air for a long time to come. I rebult my 94EX; new compressor shaft seal, replaced evaporator due to suspected leak. It's still cooling good and running fine today, but I did add a few ounce of R134a last year.

good luck

Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Sounds a re hard to figure out here

When it is on does it cool any? Are you getting voltage to the compressor clutch coil?
Doesnt cool at all I believe. Once I hear that noise I shut it off. Havent tried to turn it on in a while.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Sound could be relief valve opening due to blocked high side of system.

Your best bet is to simply rebuild the system. At this age, that is usually what is necessary to get good AC performance for the long term. This AC system is easy to rebuild. Here are the basics:

1) Remove the receiver/drier and compressor. Inspect compressor oil for damaged pistons/cylinders. Look for aluminum shavings in oil in compressor and receiver/drier. If OK, adjust clutch gap to spec, Make sure the idler bearing is good and replace if necessary. Replace compressor if any indications of aluminum shavings.

2) If aluminum shavings are detected, it's best to buy a used evaporator and condensor. It is impossible to totally flush these parts and aluminum shavings will damage new compressor.

3) If compressor is OK, remove evaporator and replace all orings on expansion valve and feedback bulb.

4) Replace all ac system connection Orings.

5) Flush all hoses w/ laquer thinner.

6) Reassemble system leaving new receiver/drier to last. Install 5 oz DE PAG oil in condensor, compressor, and new receiver/drier.

7) Vacuum for 1/2 hour and check that vacuum holds for at least 15 mins w/ almost no drop.

8) If good vacuum another 1/2 hr and charge w/ spec amount of R134a.

Enjoy your nice cool air for a long time to come. I rebult my 94EX; new compressor shaft seal, replaced evaporator due to suspected leak. It's still cooling good and running fine today, but I did add a few ounce of R134a last year.

good luck
Exactly what I was looking for. When I buy these parts from this guy what all comes with the a/c that I should/need to replace?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need compressor, condensor, and evaporator. Your hoses are OK unless the crimps show signs of leakage. You will need to buy new receiver/drier, refrigerant, and lubricant (DE PAG).

Suggest checking your compressor first. If it's good, you don't need anything but new orings and receiver/drier (<$30). Ackits.com is a good source for orings, lube, and receiver/drier.

good luck

Quick Reply: Need to know what to do