General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You need compressor, condensor, and evaporator. Your hoses are OK unless the crimps show signs of leakage. You will need to buy new receiver/drier, refrigerant, and lubricant (DE PAG).

Suggest checking your compressor first. If it's good, you don't need anything but new orings and receiver/drier (<$30). Ackits.com is a good source for orings, lube, and receiver/drier.

good luck
Alright cool. And since its coming off a used car which is not running is there any way I can check that the compressor is still good?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Turn the compressor by hand. Any grinding or significant resistance would be a problem. There is slight resistance as each piston compresses gas, but small and regular.

Drain some oil and examine for any metal shavings. Obviously a no-go.

Look at clutch shaft for evidence of leaking by main shaft seal. Lots of oil/dirt would indicate a problem. Shaft seal is replaceable w/ some effort. ackits.com usually has the seal.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 07-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Turn the compressor by hand. Any grinding or significant resistance would be a problem. There is slight resistance as each piston compresses gas, but small and regular.

Drain some oil and examine for any metal shavings. Obviously a no-go.

Look at clutch shaft for evidence of leaking by main shaft seal. Lots of oil/dirt would indicate a problem. Shaft

good luck
Thank you very much for your help!!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sound could be relief valve opening due to blocked high side of system.

Your best bet is to simply rebuild the system. At this age, that is usually what is necessary to get good AC performance for the long term. This AC system is easy to rebuild. Here are the basics:

1) Remove the receiver/drier and compressor. Inspect compressor oil for damaged pistons/cylinders. Look for aluminum shavings in oil in compressor and receiver/drier. If OK, adjust clutch gap to spec, Make sure the idler bearing is good and replace if necessary. Replace compressor if any indications of aluminum shavings.

2) If aluminum shavings are detected, it's best to buy a used evaporator and condensor. It is impossible to totally flush these parts and aluminum shavings will damage new compressor.

3) If compressor is OK, remove evaporator and replace all orings on expansion valve and feedback bulb.

4) Replace all ac system connection Orings.

5) Flush all hoses w/ laquer thinner.

6) Reassemble system leaving new receiver/drier to last. Install 5 oz DE PAG oil in condensor, compressor, and new receiver/drier.

7) Vacuum for 1/2 hour and check that vacuum holds for at least 15 mins w/ almost no drop.

8) If good vacuum another 1/2 hr and charge w/ spec amount of R134a.

Enjoy your nice cool air for a long time to come. I rebult my 94EX; new compressor shaft seal, replaced evaporator due to suspected leak. It's still cooling good and running fine today, but I did add a few ounce of R134a last year.

good luck
Alright well I am taking this guys word for it and I am buying the compressor in the morning. How long/hard is the job to replace it?

Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

So you examined the compressor and receiver/drier and found metal shavings?

If you did, then other components should be replaced.

good luck

Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

good luck
I actually just decided that im going to hold off on this job. I have a good mechanic and im just going to have him check it out.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

good luck
Taking the car to a a/c place on friday. They said the noise could be that the system is overcharged. They are going to run tests on the system for 25$. I think before I buy any parts I should do this first haha.