General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need mechanical help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default need mechanical help

Can any one tell me why after changing the intake manifold gasket by the hanes manual and the fuel filter why my car wont fire but it will turn over?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have very limited knowledge of motor parts and such... but i really dont want to have to tow it to a mechanic and find out its something i coulda fixed

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would look over the job to make sure all connections are attached and then check for fuel and spark.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have tried to go back over the connections but i cant seem to find anything not plugged in. As i said before i am really really unexperienced with motor and infact am really surprised i was able to take apart and put back together the intake manifold...
I can hear the fuel pump prime when i turn the key forward to the on position but when i try to start it the car kinda shakes and it wont fire but it will turn over.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a piece of wire or a thin paperclip, short the two pin connector under the glove box, and count the check engine light flashes.

See this site for detailed instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Your accord will not have the three-pin connector that is shown in the picture.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

so do i need to have two pieces of wire one for each wire on the plug?
Just to make sure i understand and do it right ...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

One piece of wire. Make a loop and insert it into both ends.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Just one wire. Take a thin paperclip & bend it into a U shape. You want to make an electrical connection between the 2 wires together in that connector.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can spray some gas or starting fluid into the throttle body and if it runs for a few seconds you are not getting fuel to the injectors. They are lots of ways to check for spark. You can pull a spark plug wire insert a spark plug then touch the electrode to the valve cover and look for spark while someone cranks it. You can do the same with a Phillips screwdriver in place of the spark plug but don’t ground it instead hold it by the handle and keep the blade about a 1/4” from the valve cover.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

if i do the test under the glove box will that do anything like blow a fuse or something?

I definitely appreciate all your answers and im hoping that one of them will work so i dont have to waste money fixing something that i could have done from the start.

Quick Reply: need mechanical help