General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Accord owner - question about aftermarket stuff and software

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Accord owner - question about aftermarket stuff and software

Hi all,

Just bought my first Honda yesterday.
I've got a 2012 Accord EX-L V6.

Since Honda doesn't have an in-house tuner (or do they?) like TRD, SVT, etc etc I was wondering if anybody knew for sure if installing Mugen parts would void the factory warranty. I actually haven't even checked to see Mugen makes stuff for the '12 Accord so maybe it's a moot point....

Secondly, I know that there are a few companies who make software you can load on a laptop and then connect the PC to your cars diagnostic port and do 'stuff' - on some cars you can do all kinds of cool stuff like play with silly things such as how many times the lights blink when you lock the car all the way to playing with the tuning in the ECM.... but with some cars it's a read-only type deal where all you can do is basically see some basic info and maybe get some reports. If anybody here who is in the know could point me to a good software I'd appreciate it.

Finally, I'm looking at getting a K&N filter but I know that results are mixed and that they just don't make a bit of difference in some cars. Worth it on the '12 V6 or a waste or money?

I'll probably mod/upgrade the engine eventually, but I don't want to do anything "crazy" until the warranty has expired.

TIA!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Don't buy anything if you don't know why you want it.

You've got a new car, go drive it. If you find something you don't like about it then change it, but don't just start tossing on junk you don't need because someone else thinks its cool. Keep this in mind too, every after-market part you spend your had earned dollars on will decrease the value of the car at resale time; you want to know the very fastest way to make your car worth $2000 less? Just lower it 2" and then try and sell it.

On those K&N filters, I think they are one of the worst things done to a car by a lot of guys. You put one in and if you're like half the rest of the world you never touch it again; they are cleanable but I've never met a single person who ever took one out, cleaned it, reoiled it, and then reinstalled it. At least with a stock filter you realize you have to change it now and then.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I owned my last car for over 12 years and plan on keeping this one for a good long time.
As for the K&N, checked, cleaned, and oiled regularly on the old beast and that is my intention with this as well.

This is my car and I don't give a crap what anybody else thinks about it - anything I do or don't do to it will be 100% for me and my own tastes/desires. I was kinda thinking about some different wheels because I absolutely hate the fugly ones on my wife's 2010, but mine are different and are pretty darn cool lookin' so they'll probably stay for a while. Hers look like giant freakin' flowers...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

There are differences in what is offered in the U.S. versus Japan and some other international venues. What is offered in the U.S. is very limited in terms of factory/dealer offered performance accessories.

In the U.S., there is Honda Factory Performance (HFP) for the current generation Accord. But, what is offered is not really power train related. For your Accord, HFP available accessories are:
  • HFP suspension for coupe
  • HFP wheels
  • HFP spoilers (side, front and rear) for the coupe
  • HFP badge (emblem)
2012 Accord Coupe - Honda Factory Performance Package

In the U.S., Honda dealers offer the following Mugen accessories. Not power train related.
  • Mugen floor mats
  • Mugen wheels
  • Mugen oil filler cap
  • Mugen badge (emblem)
Mugen also offer a Mugen grille, spoilers (side, front and rear) for 2008-2010 sedans. No Mugen spoilers are currently available for the 2011-2012 Accords due to change in bumper styles; although the Mugen side spoilers for the sedan should fit the 2012 sedan.

On a side note: King Motorsport Unlimited, Inc. states they are the sole authorized North American distributor for Mugen Co., Ltd., the premier manufacturer of performance products ...

But, there is limited actual Mugen parts available for the current generation Accords. It also appears some of what King Motorsport offers would not necessarily be Mugen; but, other manufacturers. If there were Mugen parts purchased outside of the dealership, they would not be covered under Hondas general limited parts warranty, i.e., Mugen is not Honda.

Generally for Hondas, reflashing the ECU is not something that is done by a DIYer. Hondata (not affiliated with Honda) is one such company that offers
chips or reflash of certain model Honda ECUs. Nothing that I know of is available for the current generation Accords regarding ECU tuning. This is one area that would void your power train warranty.

In the owner's manual there should be info. to program your door locking that you can do; but, that is about it.

It's up to you if you have an itch and want to scratch it. Takeda also makes an air intake. You will get a sound difference. You can research the various manufacturers and see if they claim performance differences with dyno charts, etc.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-21-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
In the U.S., Honda dealers offer the following Mugen accessories. Not power train related.
  • Mugen floor mats
  • Mugen wheels
  • Mugen oil filler cap
  • Mugen badge (emblem)
    Originally Posted by redbull-1
    Takeda also makes an air intake. You will get a sound difference...
    Pointless. Higher MPG, increased HP, quicker acceleration - these are performance upgrades. 'sounds cool' not so much.

Thanks for the info though - I'll check out K&N and Takeda sites to see if they have any hard numbers available.

Local dealer said they do not install HFP but also said that a K&N intake won't void the warranty.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
    Super Moderator

Lol. What the Honda dealers offer related to Mugen for the Accord isn't performance related. It's the term, "all show and no go". The emblem is almost like slapping a "turbo" emblem or a BMW "M" emblem on.

In the U.S, for older generations and other model Hondas, Mugen use to offer a lot more that was performance related. Times have changed.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
    Super Moderator

A little surprising your local dealership won't install HFP, most dealerships do; as Honda has step-by-step installation instructions that most people can follow.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
    Newest Of Newbies

dunno, maybe they got burned in the past?

as for emblems, what's you problem? I'm pretty sure an Si badge adds 10 HP and if you can find the ultra-rare SiR you're good for 25+!
    between that an a giant aluminum park bench riveted onto the trunk (crooked and off-center of course!) you could easily get a bona-fide super car.
    mebbe I should get me one of them giant mufflers that make it sound like a broken motorcycle. rEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEeeEEeeeeee!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
    Super Moderator

Not sure where this is going,,,,,I'll keep an eye on it and go from there.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM
    Newest Of Newbies

unfortunately, where it appears to be going is off-topic...
    with the first response no less!

-anyway, it looks like Mugen is out as it seems they don't make anything for my car (performance related that is) - redbull's right, it's unclear exactly who makes the stuff kingmotorsport has listed.
    -reflashing my ECU may be an option, but I'm still trying to see if there is any of the software I mentioned originally available out there - anybody knows please post up.
    -I'm gonna look at K&N and Takada's sites to see if they provide hard data on their intakes, which the local dealer said won't void the warranty
    -yeah, I don't like idiots who butcher their cars with ill-fitting body kits attached with wood screws, pointless wing spoilers that look like they belong on the roof of a big rig (you really need that much down-force on the back end of a FWD?), stick-on emblems originally intended for different vehicles, and fart-can mufflers.

I hope we're back on track now - again, if anybody knows of software like what I've mentioned please let me know.

TIA!

Quick Reply: New Accord owner - question about aftermarket stuff and software