General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new car vandalized...any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
1993solace
Unregistered
Default new car vandalized...any suggestions?

Hi to all and thanks to sponsors and web tech(s). My problem is that I just bought an 03' Accord EX that now won't run. Someone placed a bolt in the a/c drain tube causing the carpet to become saturated with water. It was driven on a short out of town trip on the evening I bought the car, parked, then when I got into the car again shortly afterward and began backing out of my garage the engine began to miss then quit. The "check engine" light came on and the "P" and "D" lights flashed alternatively when the engine was sputtering. I cranked it and managed to get it back into my garage. The next day it did the same thing, so I looked the car over and discovered the problem. I don't know why the bolt would have been put there, but I suspect that the water may have damaged something electrical inside my car as there is a foul "electrical" odor inside. The dealer towed the car back and says that the "immobilizer system" is the problem, but their $8500 "analyzer" recently got broken and they expect a new one in today. The green key light is flashing, so it could be the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: new car vandalized...any suggestions?

Many times w/ water, simply drying the system thoroughly will fix the problem. Put a large fan in the pax door directed under the dash. Lift carpet to allow air to blow over the pad. Allow to dry for at least a day. Some shifting of carpet and pad and adding spacers underneath to allow air to circulate will help.

Hard to believe someone would go to the trouble of adding a bolt to block the drain tube. The drain tube end is only accessible w/ hood up, so only a service person or someone w/ access to the car could do this.

good luck

Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Administrator

#1 thing is to take it to a different dealership...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
1993solace
Unregistered

After some delay I have now been told I will be getting a new computer...we will see if its going to be "taken care of" as the dealer has been promising. I have since heard a rumor that their service manager was fired some time ago. I have not talked to the service technician I have dealt with in the past to get an idea as to what has happened with my car or their manager. Thanks for the responses...check with ya later.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

something else you might want to do .... loosely pack tissues into the outlet vents and put a piece of blue painter's tape on loosely to hold them in place.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Then, put the air on top outlets only, turn the fan to a low setting, but not the lowest .....

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM

2 or 3 is good

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

(assuming the auto system that I had

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

had like 8 notches on the fan.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 AM

Take out the cabin filter and with the system running,

Quick Reply: new car vandalized...any suggestions?