General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CEL codes fun fun fun!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default New CEL codes fun fun fun!

Ok so just randomly today when I started my car to go to work just like any other day, it sounded like it was only running off 2 cylinders and the CEL blinked for a few seconds then stayed solid. I then turned the car off and back on. Same thing but once it warmed up it went back to normal. I checked all fluid levels and they were fine. So I went to autozone and had them read the CEL and got codes P0301 and P1399. I just bought a new distributor about 5 days ago and had a mechanic put it on. It's been running perfect. Seems that it just has trouble starting from a cold start but once it's warmed up it's fine. What do you guys think? Thanks...

Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I did not look up those codes but I am wondering why you had a mechanic install the new dist, it is very simple to do and not even worth paying a couple of bucks to have done.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM

0301 is random cylinder misfire but 1399 is not listed anywhere, are you sure that is the correct #?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
0301 is random cylinder misfire but 1399 is not listed anywhere, are you sure that is the correct #?

The 1399 comes up when the ecm/pcm isn't really sure which cyl is missing (random cyl if you will)......so it usually comes along with the specific cyl...once one starts missing at some point the "vibrations" are such the ecm/pcm isn't sure which cyl is missing anymore......

OP-When was the last tune up....plugs and wires...I hope the new dist came with cap and rotor.....and last I hope the new dist wasn't installed because of the 0301 and 1399 code.....please.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Crispin: I realized after I already payed him $20 to put it on that it was actually very simple. He told me it's best to have a mechanic put it in because it has to go on a certain way, but he just wanted my money. That's beside the fact though lol. New distributor came with cap and rotor.

Poorman: I have never replaced the plugs and wires. I've only had the car about a year now. And no the new distributor was installed because my old one was leaking internally. The new one only cost me $90.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Cody - Well $20 is not bad at all.
The leaking dist would have been fixed with a $7.00 O ring, it is a very common and easy to fix problem.

Did you keep your old dist as one day it might be handy to have around.

I am with Poorman, new plugs and wires would be what I would do next.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cody_754
Poorman: I have never replaced the plugs and wires. I've only had the car about a year now. And no the new distributor was installed because my old one was leaking internally. The new one only cost me $90.
Me, get the tune up stuff done........plugs, cap, rotor, test/inspect the wires and replace if needed. See what you have from there......not saying to throw money at an issue but these are things that car need (almost like an oil change) every now and then......so if they are due lets get them out of the way and see if issues are still there.

EDIT: I now see crispin and I posted almost at the same time.......my question about the dist is around the fact I'm not sure if it came with a new cap and rotor......again, bottom line, if not they need to be part of the tune up process........hope this helps.

Last edited by poorman212; 05-08-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

What brand of spark plug wires on on your car? The Honda OEM ones seem to last forever. If you go to replace, use either Honda, Denso, or NGK spark plug wires. They are more expensive, but worth the money. I would probably try the spark plugs first to see if that solves the problem.

Inspect the spark plug wires for cracks in the insulation. If you have an old windex bottle, put water in it, start the engine at night. Spray a fine mist of water on the spark plug wires. Look for arcing spark. If you see that, then definitely replace the spark plug wires.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yes I did keep my old distributor but I also replaced the o ring inside of it so it should work if I ever needed it again. And poorman yes it came with cap and rotor I said that in my last post haha.

I'll try and check my plugs and wires in the morning and see if they are alright. They are OEM wires. Not sure about the plugs.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm...wonder what happened to my post?

Quick Reply: New CEL codes fun fun fun!