General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new clutch..burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default new clutch..burning smell?

so i finally changed my clutch, after 2 weeks, got a brand new exedy kit, but after my trip home back from the garage, i noticed that burning smell from the engine bay, the same smell, that comes from wearing out ur clutch from like, dropping or popping the clutch to often during a short period of time, but i didnt do that, i just drove it home, i'm guessing its brand new, so its breaking in? i couldnt call the shop back, cuz they were already closed..

Old 12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: new clutch..burning smell?

there is an anti-rust coating on the new pressure plates, it can cause smoke and stink for a couple days.
Old school guys know to clean it off with some brake clean, but young gravy grabbers don't care.
See ifthe smell goes away in a couple days.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

thanks! that explains it alot!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 PM

gravy grabbers..hehe

does the pedal feel normal? i've had misadjusted clutch switches cause a drag on the clutch disc, wearing it out.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Almost A Senior Member

yes, the pedal feels normal, just lighter than my previous clutch, its more easier to press down now, and the take of is higer/sooner, causing it to jump, i'm getting use to the adjustment, but i'm hoping the clutch is not misadjusted?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM

yeah I was going to say its either just you getting use to the clutch and riding it a little longer (this is what happened to me the first time i drove my car after having the clutch replaced or the coating that is on the pressure plate.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
dsgammo
Unregistered

I was just getting ready to start a thread on this same issue. I've got a '98 Accord 5 speed that I had the clutch changed on last year. Have been smelling a burning smell recently when putting the car in reverse. It seems like it's only when I'm backing up uphill that this smell comes up. Have had this car since new in '98 and haven't noticed this before. However, I don't know that I've ever reversed uphill as much as I do now (now own a house with a steep driveway that I back into).

Suggestions or opinions??

Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Does it feel like it's slipping at all?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM

how long did your original clutch last?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM
dsgammo
Unregistered

Sir Nasty... No, doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping at all. Performing as it should. SVTMike, the original clutch lasted over 110K miles.

Again, it's only been reeking when reversing and reversing uphill at that. Now, getting up that hill at lower speeds requires a balance of gas and clutching. So, there is a tad bit of riding the clutch. But not so much that I'd think it would come off smelling the way that it has been.

Quick Reply: new clutch..burning smell?