General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to Forum - D4 Blinking

Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Default New to Forum - D4 Blinking

Hello All:

My name is Mark and I am new to this forum. Thanks for your time to read this post. My vehicle is a 1994 Accord EX 2.2L AT with 230K miles. This car has been passed down through my 3 daughters and is currently with my youngest. I have been trying to do most of the repairs and maintenance over the years and have a new problem I need some help with.

I searched this site extensively for a solution to my problem before I posted but I can't find what I think I need. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The D4 light is blinking and at the same time the shiftlock kicked in. When I drove the car the shifting was odd and from the shop manual I have I would call it a late upshift. I followed the suggestions posted at this site to short the Service Check Connector and get the TCM code. My problem is the code seems confusing. Here is what I get

5 short
8 short
1 long
1 long
3 short

Then they appear to repeat.

I checked the solenoids and the resistance was ok and they clicked when I applied 12V, as suggested in the shop manual.

Any thoughts? Is this multiple problems? I am not sure I am reading the codes correctly.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Mark

Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a long (2-3 sec) pause betweeen successive codes. A multidigit code (13?) would have been 1-long and 3 shorts in quick succession. If you're sure you had separate codes, they are probably correct. Two long flashes in a row suggest you may have codes 10, then 13.

So many codes at one time suggest either wiring harness damage or possibly faulty TCU.

I had to replace my ECU due to board failure, but so far my TCU is OK and I have similar mileage to yours (245K).

Suggest resetting ECU and see what codes emerge after a reset.

good luck

Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Did the check engine light flash any codes, or did it stay turned on the whole time?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM

The Check Engine Light was not flashing nor did I get a code from it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

This may be a problem with the TCU or possibly the ECU. I would just search car-part.com to get an idea of the cost for a used one from a nearby junkyard.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM

My son-in-law took it to a local garage. This is what he reported back

There are multiple things wrong with the car. The Shifting solenoid was one of three total issues. The other was a shift selector, and I think he said distributor module (or switch). He never felt the car actually go into overdrive. He said if there is nothing wrong with the transmission we would be looking at about $1,200 between parts and labor.
--------------------------------
I have a used shift
solenoid on order so I will try that first. I will reset the ECU also. If nothing changes then I may be looking for new ECU or TCU. Thanks for your help so far. Mark

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM

I reset the tcm and now only get a code 13.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'd pull the sensor and clean it first, might as well pull the counter shaft and clean it as well. These will sometimes get a build up of metal on the end causing bad readings. Suggets new o-rings.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Just checked the check engine light and for sure it is blinking - 8 blinks

Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You have been through the shop manual checks to confirm code 13. Next step is to substitute a known good ECM (not TCM).

Code 8 is TDC sensor. This can be checked by measuring resistance at the ECM to see if sensor checks OK. If it checks OK, the fault is in the ECM. Resistance should be 350-700 ohms. You will need a shop manual to get the wire colors and correct connectors to check at the ECM for resistance. See Online Manuals links for 94-97 Accord manual.

Alternatively, a used ECM can be found for < $50 to substitute. I replaced mine for $25 last year for a similar ECM fault (code 9). I did confirm I had good sensor resistance at the ECM connector.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Forum - D4 Blinking