General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum, Need help!! ERG issue? Engine light still on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Default New to forum, Need help!! ERG issue? Engine light still on.

Please help!!!

I have a 1998 LX 4 cyl and the engine light came on and the code shows up that its insufficient flow from the EGR. I have already replaced the EGR twice thinking the first one was deffective.

I have done everything Chiltons has said, disconnect the battery, take out the fuses, cleaned it out over 5 or 6 times now, and the light keeps coming back on.

I have checked the PCV and its fine, I dont know what else it could be. What am I missing here? Please help!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did you inspect the port in the manifold the EGR sits on. They get clogged with carbon.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM

I have used a coat hanger and scraped out a lot of build up and sucked it out with a shop vac. Used carb cleaner let it sit and taken it out with a paper towel and the engine light is still on.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Is the 98 EGR valve vacuum controlled?

On the 98 accord, the EGR passage runs from the EGR valve up the side of the manifold towards the throttle body. That may be plugged up with carbon.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM

I am not sure if it is vacuum controlled.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...tex/4F1890.jpg

Anyways, I have taken out a ton of this carbon, and its still coming out and I cannot reset the codes or get the light to come off.

More importantly I cant get a valid sticker and there is nothing wrong with the car other than this issue.

Is there a way to reset this so it will pass inspection, could it be another area. Or do I have to continue to clean it out and clean it out?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like your EGR valve is opened/closed electrically. I do not know how to test if the valve opens properly with your setup.

I would clean out all that carbon buildup, because that will be much cheaper than buying a new EGR valve. You will have to remove the upper intake manifold (#10) and clean out that blocked passage with throttle body cleaner and a test tube brush. That passage is on the passenger side of the lower manifold, from the square hole up to towards the throttle body. There may be a passage in the upper manifold as well.

I don't know why honda made the 98-02 accord egr ports so much harder to access for cleaning.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM

I have already replaced it and thought I didnt need to after I started to clean out the crap. So be it. Is there a sensor hooked up to this that may need to be changed out/cleaned?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

The lift sensor for the EGR valve is on top of it, so its part of the unit. There are many sensors involved with setting the EGR code.

The computer calculates the difference between the ideal EGR valve lift and the actual lift from the lift sensor (based on info from a number of sensors). If the difference is out of acceptable range, then you get the EGR code.

If the valve is fairly new, then I wouldn't consider replacing it (or anything), until you confirm that it is not working properly.

Cleaning out the carbon buildup is one cause of that code. Since you know there is carbon buildup, clean it properly to eliminate that as the cause.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 PM

I love forums! Thank you so much. I will be trying to clean all that out again today, Ill write back to see what happens.

If you could continue this post, I was told removal of the number 13 fuse on the passenger side while doing that will help reset the computer as well there is a solenoid somewhere and a carbon filter somewhere that need to be checked, do you know anything about this?

Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Okay, I got in there, I believe that the throttle body port itself, if thats what you call it, below #25 comes off itself but I did not attempt to take it off I just dont have the time today.

I went in to the throttle body and hit it with carb/tb cleaner and paper towels and it was amazing how much soot was and still is in there. Unfortunatly the engine light is still on. Im going to have to do it a few more times to see if I can get it to shut off.

Quick Reply: New to forum, Need help!! ERG issue? Engine light still on.