General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy in town...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
From your post I am assuming that you have a 2000 accord? Can you tell us the year/model(EX, LX...)/engine (4 or 6 cyl)/transmission (at from your posts).

You can stop by a parts store like autozone and have them read the code(s) for free. Post the actual code you are getting. They all start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234. The code should still be stored for a certain number of drive cycles.

The scanner at the parts store may not be able to get the SRS code. It could be as simple as a bad seat belt buckle, or the control unit. The seatbelts are warrantied for the life of the car, so you don't need warranty papers. The SRS system is not warrantied for the life of the car.
Yes; it's a 2000 Accord EX 4 cyl purchased used from a local Honda dealer who wasn't up front abou the accident history of the vehicle. I found the evidence when I repaired our accident damage to the front bumper.
I have had AutoZone code the CE light a dozen times which shows P740; a general trans malfunction; and also another more definitive statement abou the torque converter failing to lock which apparently prompts the computer to illuminate the CE lamp.
As I have previously stated the CE lamp is currently oiff and has been since reducing the trans fluid level.
I have not shared that about six months ago the trans was removed and rebuilt at the recommendation of a local garage since shifting at that time was grabbing and slipping; which stopped after the rebuild; but the CE light kept coming on; the pattern being; up a long grade if the gas pedal was held steady apparently the torque converter would not lock. Sometimes I can lock the TC with gas pedal back-off which I recognize by tach observation with the small 100 rpm or so reduction at successful lock point.