General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here at HAF, also in need of some directions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Default New here at HAF, also in need of some directions

Hi everyone,
I'm new here at HAF. I have a 2008 Accord V6 automatic. I just found out the radiator is leaking. The car is still under warranty but Honda will not cover it because the leaking is not a manufacturer defect. Honda tech determined that a rock hit it. Oh well, I was searching for a DIY instruction on radiator replacement but still haven't find anything. I saw replacement instruction for 90-97 Accord and I'm just wondering if it's similar. I would really appreciated for any suggestion.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
This belongs in General Tech, so I'll move it.

Some of the details are a bit different, but the basic procedure is about the same. Disconnect the hoses & fan wires; unbolt the radiator mounting brackets; remove. But with the V-6 engine things are a bit more crowded.

Automatic transmission has ATF hoses for an oil-cooler built into the radiator, so be prepared to catch the ATF.

But I'm curious... How did a rock hit the radiator without first going through the AC condenser??

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm curious as I have never worked with a newer Honda before but what's the fluid inside the ATF hoses? Is it transmission fluid and how do I refill the fluid after replacement? Also, is there a bleeder valve at the thermostat for the 2008-2012 Accord? I have replaced many radiators on different cars and it seemed quite simple. Not sure if I should send it to my mechanic, the Honda dealer will charge around $800 for part and labor, ridiculous...

Last edited by pow3rid; 10-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it's ATF (auto-trans-fluid) in the transmission hoses.

I think the V-6 auto-trans has a fill plug, but you can also refill through the transmission dipstick hole.

I don't think theres an air-bleed screw in the V-6 just because the radiator is where air bubbles will collect anyway. Make sure you set the heater temperature all the way to HOT so you get air out of the heater core too.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM

If you have time, you may want to remove the radiator first and if it is not physically abused, take it in to the dealer for a replacement under warranty.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM

I don't know about the 2008, but my 03 V6 automatic doesn't have any lines going to the radiator. It's probably easier to remove the old radiator, with the fans attached to it, switch the fans over to the new radiator, then install. You may already know this, just adding it just in case you don't. I installed expanded metal behind my lower grill to stop rocks from getting to the condenser. It happens to a lot of owners because the lower grill opening is so large, and there isn't much there to stop road debris from damaging the condenser.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked at the 2008 pictures, the ATF hoses are the small ones in the lower tank of the radiator. #13 & 14

Attached Thumbnails New here at HAF, also in need of some directions-2008-v6-radhoses.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 AM

Thank you for all the feedback. My Accord is still at the dealer and warranty will not cover. I'll take it back tomorrow.

Nighthawk, custom metal grill sound like a good idea. I'll look into it. Maybe I'll put one on mine just for peace of mind. Also, I'll keep in mind about keeping the fan on.

Jim, thanks so much for the diagram. Looking at that I feel more confident that I can do it. The leaking is not bad at all probably just a tiny hole and only leak at high pressure. I commute 1.5 mile to work so I can drive it for now until my replacement arrive. I'll post an update after I have it replaced.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Disconnect hoses (taking care of fluids) & disconnect fan wires.

Unbolt the upper brackets which are like rubber grommets holding the pins that are part of the radiator.

Lower pins on the radiator should simply lift out from their respective sockets.

Sounds easy, right? Trouble is the small space you have to work in. That drawing doesn't show the fans with their shrouds. Remove those after the radiator is out. I haven't done this on a V-6 so can't offer firsthand help.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Me in left field again....how does a rock damage the rad without going thru the ac cond?

Ok, the cond could be a bit smaller than the rad but.........guess you got a lucky rock.

Quick Reply: New here at HAF, also in need of some directions