General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and need some HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile New here and need some HELP!!!

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and own a 1994 Honda Accord LX Automatic. My mission is to swap a H22 motor into it. I've bought a 1993 Honda prelude that I think has been swapped already to a red topped JDM automatic, I have just removed my old motor and trans already. One problem I see at the start is that the Accord motor has three plugs on the driver side that the prelude does not. I'm not understanding the wiring harness thing, do i take all the wires off the F22 motor and put it on the new H22?

Also when I try searching for this in the forum all I find is people asking for help and people saying that "this has been covered years ago just search the forum" then when I search I get back no results, why is this?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Can you give us some information on the plugs? What do they plug into? Pics may help as well.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, this is the picture of my F22 engine. To the right on the driver side above the strut are three plugs that I dont know what they are, the H22 doesn't have them.
So I'm wanting to know do I take the wiring harness off the F22 and put it on the H22 and make it work?

On another note I bought this 1993 prelude as a whole car and thought that this would be the best bet on getting a good running engine. I'm not sure what OBD it is or what mine is but I'm guessing 1 for both due to their years.

Sorry about the vague pic and description. I just figured that this swap has been done a gazillion times and somebody would know what I need to do.

Attached Thumbnails New here and need some HELP!!!-dsc00012.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Also here is a pic of the H22. I also got the ultimate H22 swap guide and it said all I have to do for the exhaust is buy a Prelude header for the motor and it will bolt up to my existing exhaust, the existing exhaust has two bolts for it while the new header I bought has three. The motor already has a new header that has been welded to the preludes exhaust and I probably could have just used that instead of buying a new one!

The ultimate H22 swap guide is as vague as I'm being on this post! js
Not much good technical info in it in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails New here and need some HELP!!!-dsc00011.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a link with some info. on an H22 swap into a 5th gen Accord. It will be easier to use your existing Accord wire harness and add wires and connectors and lengthen existing wires.

accordinglydone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29

If you don't have the factory service manual, I believe there are links for download in the DIY sticky in this forum.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks a bunch Redbull!
That link didn't work but I went to accordinglydone and found what I needed
I couldn't find the sticky with the links to the factory manual either

What do they mean by this?

*Wires to add:

VTEC Solenoid: Grn/Yel on Prelude harness > Pin A4 on ECU // SENSOR LOCATION: Near distributor
VTEC Pressure Switch: Lt Blu on Prelude harness > Pin D6 on ECU // SENSOR LOCATION: Near distributor
Blk/Red > Ground
IAB: Pink on Prelude harness > Pin A17 on ECU // SENSOR LOCATION: Drivers side of intake manifold
Blk/Yel > 12V
Knock Sensor: Red/Blu on Prelude harness > Pin D3 on ECU // SENSOR LOCATION: Middle back of block

How and where do I add these?
And also as for switching pin A6 and A11 do I find those wires and just cross them?
And what is the best option for the power steering hose?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

You will pull the pin from the electrical connector on the ECU harness. You will switch the location of those two pins.

Copy and paste this in your browser for instructions.

honda-eg6.blogspot.com/2010/11/obd1-ecu-plug-pin-removal.html

Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

For the wires to add, on the Prelude H22 engine there are electrical connectors and wires for the VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch, Intake Air Bypass, and Knock Sensor which you need to hook up to the H22 ECU you will be using. Your Accord LX won't have most of these, as the LX didn't originally come with a VTEC engine, etc.

This link shows a Civic/Integra VTEC ECU swap which will give you an idea of what they are referring too. I'm tired right now, so I won't search for the exact ECU you might be using; but, it's the same principle.

hamotorsports.com/obd1-wiring-diagram.html

Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tintertien

I couldn't find the sticky with the links to the factory manual either
The link for the factory manuals are here:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-manuals-4597/

You should probably download both the Accord and the Prelude manuals.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks so much, I feel that I'm really glad I'm getting awesome help!!

Another question, the rear motor mount bracket, do I use the accord one or the prelude's?

Quick Reply: New here and need some HELP!!!