General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New noise...safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Default New noise...safe to drive?

So my baby is making a new noise, it's right after I turn the engine on. It's about a second or two after it starts. It's one singular loud "clunk" and then it's fine. It's done it twice now. I turned the engine off after letting it run, and turned it back on, the engine was warm and it didn't do it that time. I'm calling my garage tomorrow...do you think it's safe to drive to work? (30 min..) does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to say you are fine to drive. Yes get it looked at ASAP but the fact it goes away is a good thing.

I have a few ideas on the issue but your tech should be able to get to the answer.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Do you think it's my starter? Thank you for your help, and i'll bring it in asap! This car keeps me on my toes lol

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Anything else unusual you notice when this happens (e.g., Check Engine Light, car shudder, etc.)?

For now, open the hood and do a little visual scan. Drive belt look okay (e.g., not a lot of cracking on the underside of belt, no oil stains on it, etc.)? Check your motor oil level. Is the coolant reservoir level up to the max line? Any rodent (e.g., mouse) droppings, they are known to like warm places.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Well, my maintenance required light was blinking a few days ago, since it's almost time for an oil change, I thought it was a reminder and reset it. 2 days later the clunk started. I've had a ton of work done to this car we did have a mouse issue last year. A little discouraging....

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nitehawk Girl
Well, my maintenance required light was blinking a few days ago, since it's almost time for an oil change, I thought it was a reminder and reset it. 2 days later the clunk started. I've had a ton of work done to this car we did have a mouse issue last year. A little discouraging....
Check the oil level and have the oil changed when you bring in the car. Don't let Mickey Mouse discourage you, j/k ... Life has it's ups and down (believe me, everyone has them).

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, your clunk isn't probably due to the oil; but, check the level anyways to be safe and have them change the oil anyways too.

The 7th generation Accords (2003-2007) and 8th generation (2008 - 2012) 4 cylinders use a timing chain with a chain tensioner. The tensioner needs proper oil pressure, otherwise it may loosen and cause engine damage. That is why you have to regularly check the oil level on your Accord.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Whole system was flushed earlier this year, I had an oil change a month or so ago. A few weeks ago I had a brand new compressor put in to fix the a.c. I wasn't due for an oil change until june. Thanks for the advice, i'll get through it whatever it is. I just love this car.....i'll have them check/replace the oil..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

If the oil was just changed a month ago, then you can probably wait to change it.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM

I'll have to check my folder (I save everything) to see when it was, either way it has to go in, I pray it holds out for one day...i'll let you know what I find out.. thank you for making me feel a little better

Quick Reply: New noise...safe to drive?