General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New owner of a 94, any advice?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Default New owner of a 94, any advice?

Just picked up a 94 Accord EX. Just using it for a winter ride.
It has 128k miles, is a 4dr with a moonroof.

Any advice or need to know things about this car? I never had a Honda before, but I know they are darn reliable, even with 128,000 miles.

Thanks, John

Old 01-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Default RE: New owner of a 94, any advice?

Two important things with honda's in general: Use only NGK plugs, never bosch, and make sure that you change your timing belt every 90,000 miles. Honda's run interferance engines and if that belt snaps you'll have LOTS of problems.

Other than that enjoy the car and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks. I will need to ask the previous owner if he changed it. It was maintained by Honda, and the Goodyear I work at, but he mostly went to the dealer, and he always took care of it, so i hope he did.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Not much goes wrong w/ these Accords. I've got 218K miles on mine and worse repair has been a cylinder head gasket, possibly due to faulty thermostat.

If timing belt must be done, probably should replace water pump and rear balance shaft/oil pump cover oring gasket (prone to leak w/ age) at same time. Some replace all the seals; camshaft, crankshaft, balance shaft but there's no maintenance interval suggested by Honda. Oil leaks have occurred on mine from distributor shaft oring, valve cover, oil pump cover, and Vtec solenoid. Fuel pump went last year. Requires dropping fuel tank to reach but not too bad a job.

good luck

Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Ah yes, if you're in that far, do the job right. Same way I would sell the job.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Good luck with your car and post a picture of it when you get a chance..

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forums; WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 AM

I didn't mention that I only payed 500 for the car. Thats the greatest part!

He had the timing belt and clutch done at 90k, so I'm good for a while.
He still had the window sticker in the glove box, and a receipt for his check down payment in the owners manual, lol.

After work yesterday I pulled it in, cleaned all the glass inside and out. It needs a bath bad, but its been doing nothing but freezing, or snowing here for a while.
Slapped some new wiper blades on, oil change with some Valvoline 5w30 Max life, checked and topped off all the fluids, changed the air filter, dumped some fuel injector cleaner in a freshly filled up gas tank.
We had some rain X crap laying around the parts room that you just toss the washer fluid, so I poured some of that in there.
Shop was closing, so the next day I figure Ill vacuum it and detail the inside. Its far overdue.

Today I pull it in and get my shopvac out and go to town. Got all the floor mats and every piece of soft interior vacuumed up, now was time to go to the trunk.
I was in shock at the mess in the trunk. Come to find out he would haul firewood in the trunk. so you can imagine the debris it left. I lifted up the trunk cover, removed the spare, and there was a ton of the crap under that too. This stuff got damp, so it was like mush. No standing water tho. I took it out with my hands, then used the shopvac to suck the rest of it out.

Then I look at the trunk "gutters" (where the water that runs from the back window down, and around under the trunk lid where log jammed with twigs, leaves, mush, and some hardend stuff. Not good. So I clean that all out. Not sure if the hard substance was just iced up stuff, or actually some other created muck from the mess.

Then the same kind of stuff was found in the gas door area, and under the front cowl under the wiper area. Not as bad as the trunk deal tho.
Now the shop was closing up again and I didn't even have a chance to detail the inside.

Ugh, another day I guess.
Come spring Ill claybar it, and give it some nice waxing.

Now I just bought this car to drive around in the Chicago winters, but I still take pride in what I drive.
It has some rust behind the rear wheels, oh well, the rest of the car will look good as I can make it.
Also it has the factory alum. wheels on the front, and steel replacements with Honda hubcaps on the back. The design is "somewhat" close so it doesnt stick out that bad Not worth me buying 2 matching wheels for that for sure.

I had 2 more snow tires put on today, to match up the ones I sold to the previous owner before I bought it.
I went to a different size from the stock 195/60/15 to a 195/65/15 because we had some really old tires in stock and they let me have them for 50 bucks a piece. (Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice).
It snowed today and that thing was amazing in the snow. I was swerving trying to get it to break traction, and it held really good. Sure beats driving the Mustang in this crap.

So far I the issues I see.
The power antenna needs some lubrication. Any suggestions on what to use or not to use?
Also the RR door power window switches are taped over. He mentioned it did not work. I haven't tried to see if its something like, it goes down, but wont go up, lol. Be just my luck. Or it doesn't work at all. What usually if anything goes out on those? The motor? regulator? both one piece? Not sure if its worth to invest in really. 3 windows and a moonroof is fine with me.
It will need some new rear pads, about 80-90% worn, rotors look ok, calipers are covered in rust tho .

Pics to come soon! Thanks for letting me boor you.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Snapped a pic with the cell phone today.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 PM

$500 for that car is highway robbery.... Especially for a well maintaned one owner car.... dang I would have paid $600! wanna sell it to me? *L*

As for your power window issue, real common on 94-97's, I replaced my drivers side at one point, about $60-$70 for the motor/regulator/track, one piece. Check out www.1aauto.com that's where I got mine and it's got a lifetime warranty.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Yeah, it was a steal!
On Edmunds.com in avg condition
trade in value $1,330 private party $1,807 Dealer retail $2,617
How accurate Edmunds is, I dont know.

Thanks on the window info. Not sure if Ill spend the money for the rear window.
But the drivers window goes really slow, and sometimes take a two tries to go all the way back up.
So I think I will need the drivers side one soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner of a 94, any advice?