General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shifter Knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Default New Shifter ****

I've got a 1995 Honda Accord 4-doorLX and I'm tying to replace the existing shifter **** with a new, smaller one but the holes on the new shifter **** are too small for the current screws. The new shifter **** comes with what they call Allen screws but I have absolutely no idea how to use them. I can add pictures if you want but will someone please show me how to do this. If you could, please add step-by-step pictures, it would make my life so much easier. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: New Shifter ****

Thanks for putting the year/model of your car, but for this we need to know whether is an AT or manual tranny! Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh, yeah, sorry about that, it's an automatic but the kit is for an automatic transmission, and you push down to change gears. I'm going to take pictures of everything right now, be right back.

Current Shifter ****

Without Shifter ****

Kit with Shifter ****, Keychain, Pedals, and Tire Valve Caps, all Chrome

New Shifter ****

One of two Screw's from Current Shifter ****, too big for holes innew Shifter ****

Holes in new Shifter ****, too small for screws from current Shifter ****

Screws called Allen screws that come with new Shifter **** to fit holes, don't know how to use them or what they're for, has screw but no head to screw

Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM

The kit should have come with an "L" shaped peice of metal called an "Allen wrench" that allows you to tighten the allen screws. The allen screw has a hole on one end of it that allows you to insert the allen wrench to tighten the allen screw. The allen wrench acts like a screwdriver and the allen screw works just like a regular screw. Judging by the last picture, the way the allen screw is sitting in your handthe hole looks like it is on the left side.
Here is a picture of an allen wrench that came with a kit I bought that has allen screws:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/3B40C67A964F47A3B36538B905AA9885.gif[/IMG]

Check the kit. There should be an allen wrench that fits in the allen screw. If there isn't one, they sell them in sets at Wal Mart or Lowes. They probably have them at Auto Zone or O'reilley as well. Go to one of those stores and bring the allen screw. See if you can find an allen wrench that fits it. Or ask someone that works there if they have any allen wrenches that fit that screw. They will probably help you find one.
Also if you went to an AutoZone...if one of the workers was bored, they might even help you install the new ****. Theworkers at the AutoZones around here are very helpful. Just don't go by there when they are about to close the store

Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 PM

That shift **** looks like it fits a manual instead of automatic. I don't see a button on top for shifting an automatic?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 PM

The reason you don't see a button is because, like I said before, you push down on the shifter **** with the palm of your hand to change gears. And, by the way, it does come with an Allen wrench, I just didn't take a picture of it when I was out there in my car. But I still don't know how the Allen screws are suppose to work. I knew how to screw them in with the Allen wrench but the screws are barely long enough to stick out of the other end in the new shifter **** and even if they fit the hole in the new shifter ****, the holes in the actual shifter itself are too big for the Allen screws to fit since they had to accomodate the size of the old screws. I looked at other shifter ***** at AutoZone and the size of the holes are exactly the same and they all have Allen screws, too. I don't get how the heck you're suppose to put a new shifter **** on when every single one that they make has screws that are too small to fit the factory shifter. I understand where the Allen screws go, what they do, and how to put them on, but what I don't get is how to put the new shifter **** on if the hole from the old screws is too big for the Allen screws.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Understood.
The allen screws are normally designed to put enough pressure on a surface that has no holes in it so that the new **** will stay in place. I don't know if that makes any sense. Can you twist the **** so that the holes for the allen screws do not line up with the stock holes? I do not belive you are supposed to put the allen screws through the stock holes on the shift lever itself. Unless the kit says to do so.
I would try to line up the allen screw holes so that they don't go through the stock holes. They just need to press against the metal on the stock shift lever. They work kind of like a clamp to clamp the new **** to the exhisting lever.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 PM

I understand what you're saying, but won't they fall out or lose their grip really easily?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I had that problem (allen screws losing grip)with a universal shift **** that used allen screws on a manual shift. I just figured it lost its grip because I was extra rough on it. I tend to shift pretty hard.
Try putting some loctite (you can buy it in the automotive section at wal mart) on the threads of the allen screwsbefore screwing them in. That might make it hold better. Other than that, I believe that is how the kit was intended to be installed.
Again, I didn't install this exact kit, but I installed a similar **** on a manual shifter (there were no stock holes in the stock shift lever at all) and that was how the install worked. Just tighten the allen screws down like a clamp. Just try not to twist the **** once you have it "clamped" on and it should stay pretty tight.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Yeah, well I put it on, and the shifter **** still spun arounda full 360 degrees and I couldn't figure out how to make it not spin. Besides that, my only other problem is the fact that the paint from underneath the old shifter has worn away after years of use. You can see what I'm talking about in the picture below.I was wondering if there was any way to fix either the spinning problem or the worn away paint problem. I thought about black spraypaint or black paint but I'm not sure. What do you guys think about both problems?

Quick Reply: New Shifter Knob