General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb in east texas needs help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default newb in east texas needs help

hi yall, im new here and i have a problem, my 96 accord , the power locks stopped working, i checked the fuse and its good, but i know nothing of these cars, i tried search but not much help,, it does not make any noise at all, no buzzing , nada, zip , zero action,with the switch or key, any ideas as to what to check, i am on a budget and cant afford to take in so?????
thanks in advance,,,,

Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello Woody31

Thank you for joining the HAF..

Pull door lock panel off and see if you have lost your connection at the switch..

That happened to my car and I fixed it by connecting the wire back on..

Good Luck.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails newb in east texas needs help-texas.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

If that doesn't solve it......INVEST in a volt meter. Simple ones are less than $10 and will save a ton of time.

If the plug is connected and you have a volt meter or once you do let us know and we can walk you thru some tests to try to find the issue.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Exclamation back in the saddle

hi folks,,thanks for having me,,update,,pulled the door handles on both sides,,there seems to be 2 volts at the switches,,fuse is good,,12 volts on both sides,,only 2volts at the switch,,i have zero ideas on how to repair,,
This car was passed down to me when my mother passed away and it is improtant to me to get these lil issues resolved,,
I sis manage to fix the no blinker issue,,seems it was a flasher,,cost me 2 bucks at the pick and pull....need some help on this ,,,thanks in advance for your time and replies,,,

Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

You have to give us a better idea of what you are testing, because your last post is confusing me.

Tell us what wire harness (like driver's side window switch harness). Tell us the wire color you are testing for voltage, and the ground (wire or body ground).

For example, I have 12V on the orange wire in the driver's door switch electrical connector to a good body ground. Describing like this will make things much clearer.

Is your car a 4 or 2 door?

Also, will the power door locks unlock all the doors if you use the key in the outside key hole (on either driver or passenger side)?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. It is a 4fair door ex model. No the locks do not work when you cycle the key..they do not work with the passenger side switch either. I unplugged the harness from the door and the black wire in the mddle seems to be the ground.checking with meter it goes to 22. The redish oranage wire has 2a volts to it...same on pass. Side...locks do not work with car alarm either ...no clicking or the buzzing sounds either..does the door lock switch get its power from the master switch?

Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Bump...anybody???

Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Test your volt meter on your car's battery to make sure it reads around 12V. Just want to make sure the volt meter is working properly.

Next, I would remove the door panel. Unplug the connector to the driver's door lock actuator. Use your volt meter to check for voltage between the wht/red wire and the yel/red wire.

The wht/red wire should have 12V to ground when you hit the lock button. The yel/red for the unlock should have 12V to ground when you hit the unlock button.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Recheck the #38 20amp under hood fuse.

With the key, have all of the doors locked and use the key on the pass side door to unlock the door - does the drivers side unlock as well as the pass side?

This could be "something" with the aftermarket system installed on the car - I only have the factory set up to look at......the 95 4 door did not come with "factory" systems.....either dealer installed aftermarket or aftermarket from "someplace".

EDIT: and I see PA posted as I was typing

Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Almost A Senior Member

thanks for the replies and your time,,yes the fuse is good,,NO the door locks do not work with the key on the pass,side..does not work from inside the car either,,no matter if it is drivers or pass side attempt,,when u say 12 volts to ground what are you referring to,,i am confused,,So gound the black probe from multi meter( flukeT5-1000) red probe on wht/red wire hit the switch in to the lock position and i should read 12 volts,,there seems to be only 2 volts at the switches,,both sides read same voltage,,thanks again..cheers

edit,,,,how hard is it to remove this door panel,,,lot of personal value, this was my moms car and dont want to damage the panel

Last edited by woody31; 07-03-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: newb in east texas needs help