General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEWBIE - 1999 Accord wont always go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
1999Accord
Unregistered
Default NEWBIE - 1999 Accord wont always go into gear

Have a 99 Accord that when you press on the brake to put the car in gear (automatic) the shifter doesnt always move. Have to pump the brake a few times before it finally does. Just started happening about a week ago after taking the car in to get the brakes done. Havent had a chance to get it back there yet but wanted to check here first for any ideas that may be causing this problem.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: NEWBIE - 1999 Accord wont always go into gear

Check the switch for the brake lamps, down at the brake pedal. The same switch releases the shifter interlock. There's a little button/switch that the brake pedal pushes against when it's up, kinda near the hinge point of the pedal. Sometimes they quit working, then your brake lamps & shift interlock don't work.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Hello Newbie,,Happy to have you here in the forums..I'm also going to do a bit of research and see if I can concur with JimBlakes recommendations..

Thank You for Joining...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
1999Accord
Unregistered

Glad to be here. Thanks for the quick replies. I will check the switch/button when I get to the house.

Jeff

Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 1999Accord

Glad to be here. Thanks for the quick replies. I will check the switch/button when I get to the house.

Jeff
You need to check it when it's acting up. They're usually intermittent.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Someone just had an issue almost identical to this.... assuming that it's the same when he pressed on his brake pedel his rear tailights didn't come on. If that's the case then your brake switch is probably failing (it's an easy fix if that's the case)

Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 PM

Here's the post on the guy that was having the same issue

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_20251/tm.htm

Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 AM

Just started happening about a week ago after taking the car in to get the brakes done
[:@][:@][:@]I hate to state the obvious, but it really chaps my hide when a person takes a car in for routine service and comes out with "new" problems. That is why I'm in this forum. So no one except me touches my cars. I feel as though I was taken advantage of, because you can never prove whether it was an old problem or if the mechanic messed it up, intentionally or unintentionally.

Any-hoo, I hope you get yours fixed.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:02 AM

i feel the same. ive never taken my car to a shop, ive always done the work myself so even if something f*** up i know what it is. i used to work at 3 different shops and the mangers where always lieing to people about ****, and told us to put the smallest thing on the ticket just to make a sale. hints the reason i was at 3 different shops i cant stand it when people are like that. usually me and the techs would always try and talk to the costumer and show them the real problems before the mangers could get to em. we did have a manager we called one time though cuz with brakes all it took was one time and it was fixed, the guy taught me everything i know about brakes.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

couple of things i want to say

# 1 .. 92Inspire my friend ,please keep it clean in the forum .. we do not know who might be reading this stuff,, so please use clean language

# 2 ,, I doubt very much that a tech did somethng wrong working on your brakes to mess up the brake switch ,,,which by the way that;s what i also thing the problem is ......it is a coincidence ,, it is an electrical components and could go out at any times ..

It happened to me 2 days ago,,,,,,A customer brought the car in for an oil change 2000 accord , i drove it in, no problem,, when done, i tried to drive it out and could not get it out of park , it had a bad brake switch ,,,,,,,,now according to the statement that some of you made , does that mean that i messed it up ?????
I have seen it over and over . people bring car in for something and than another thing goes wrong with the car ..

LANCELINK it happens a lot , especially on older cars . so you should not assume and automatically blame the tech for purposely or accidentally doing somethig wrong ..
Now, there might be a few bad , dishonest techs that do that ,, but i guarantee you that it is probably 1 out of thousands ...
Most techs take pride in their work ,,

Quick Reply: NEWBIE - 1999 Accord wont always go into gear