General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie here have engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
91accordlx
Unregistered
Default newbie here have engine trouble

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here. ok, i have a 91 accord lx coupe 5 speed. its got about 155,000 miles on it. Recently, Ive noticed sometimes when im driving and i have my foot on the gas pedal, the gas pedal starts shaking real bad and the engine starts shaking too. its a very uneasy feeling. My friend said it sounds like a misfire or something. im not too car savvy myself either. I have in the past added new sway bars to the car, new bushlings, brand new battery, the heat wasnt working so i fixed that, fixed the thermostat, did couple things here and there to it. But that thing im talking about now happens once in awhile. any suggestions? thanks

Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Default RE: newbie here have engine trouble

the first thing I would do is basic maintainence that is due, like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. If it's time for that stuff (oil changes too) then I'd do that first.... if the problem is intermittant then I'd run some sea foam through the motor to clean it up as well, that should smooth things out the most.... it is possible though difficult to diagnose from your description that you have a motor mount that is going bad.... you can inspect those for broken/rotten rubber....

Any consitency at all to when this happens?

Welcome to the forum!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

If the engine stumble happens in the 1500-2000 RPM range, under light to medium acceleration.
The problem could be the EGR ports plugged up. To test for this you can remove and plugthe vacum line from the EGR valve and then test drive [engine fully warmed up] if the stumble is gone the ports need cleaned.
Check out his link

http://members.troublecodes.net/hondadude/98-074EGR.gif

Old 05-26-2007, 05:11 PM

I have 97 accord SE Automatic and having same problem Engine makes this noise around 1800 to 2000 rpm. I cleaned EGR port twice and it did not help. Is there anything else I can check to fix this problem ? Any advise will help and thanks in advance. There is write up in prelude forum about cleaning EGR valve. Does it work or it is the same as our accords ??
Link : http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59722
Honda tech forum shows the cleaning of 6th gen accord you guys think it is similar for 6th gen. link is
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1375728

ORIGINAL: hondadude

If the engine stumble happens in the 1500-2000 RPM range, under light to medium acceleration.
The problem could be the EGR ports plugged up. To test for this you can remove and plugthe vacum line from the EGR valve and then test drive [engine fully warmed up] if the stumble is gone the ports need cleaned.
Check out his link

http://members.troublecodes.net/hondadude/98-074EGR.gif

Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

the first thing I would do is basic maintainence that is due, like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. If it's time for that stuff (oil changes too) then I'd do that first.... if the problem is intermittant then I'd run some sea foam through the motor to clean it up as well, that should smooth things out the most.... it is possible though difficult to diagnose from your description that you have a motor mount that is going bad.... you can inspect those for broken/rotten rubber....

Any consitency at all to when this happens?

Welcome to the forum!
I hate to go against the great sir nasty but isnt it a bad idea to use sea foam on a engine with that many miles and that old.