General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Default No Brakes...

So, I got this Accord (my first) a few months ago. Brake pedal often felt a little soft, like maybe brakes needed bleeding. But it was never bad enough that I took the time to do it. Today I was sitting, completely stopped, at a red light and my foot on the brake, after sitting for a bit the pedal sunk and the car started creeping forward. I got it into neutral and managed not to bump the car ahead of me.

Later, in order to stop I had to push the pedal all the way to the floor. The next time I needed the pedal, it was still sitting on floor. I managed to make a quick right turn into a parking lot, causing everything on the dash to slide to the driver side, and a couple items fly out my window. (All of which caused my son to exclaim "Holy s#*t, we're comin' in hot!" Luckily again I avoided hitting anyone/anything.

I checked and I'm not losing any brake fluid anywhere. This also happens to be the first car I've owned with ABS. Not sure where to start, any advic would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Almost a classic description of a bad brake master cyl. Replace and bleed the brakes.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Yes, replace the master cylinder, before you hit someone. Be careful removing/installing the brake lines, because they are easily damaged. A line wrench should be used. Thread the lines into the master cylinder by hand to avoid cross-threading.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for the information. I have never bled brakes on a vehicle with ABS before. Is the procedure the same?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Same procedure. In my experience, the ABS modulator pump lears any air in the ABS system by recirculating fluid.

good luck

Old 07-01-2012, 12:36 PM

A neighbor told me the way he bleeds brakes is to fill the master cylinder, open all bleeder screws, and leave the vehicle sit over night. He says that gets all the air out, every time. Has anyone else heard, or tried this? I'm skeptical.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've heard of gravity bleeding, but never had the patience. When I opened the bleeder, there was zero movement of fluid so long time required to fully bleed longest lines. Might be worth a try.

good luck

Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Heard of it, but never tried it. If you try it, and let us know how it goes. I would have to disconnect the battery, so the wife wouldn't drive away in it, with the brake lines open. Seems like you would have to leave the reservoir cap loose, to get any kind of flow, and that would maybe cause more contamination of the fluid. I use a hand vacuum pump, to suck the fluid out.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 07-01-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM

OK guys I may try it, if I do I will let you know what I think of it.

EXV6NIGHTHAWK, I've never used a hand vacuum pump, could you please give me a quick explanation of how to do it? I've heard it is easy, and I have thought of buying a cheap pump from Harbor Freight to try it out.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM

You need to have a clear hose, that fits tightly on the bleeder screw on the calliper. Remove the cap on the reservoir, put the hose from the hand pump to the bleeder screw apply vacuum, then loosen the screw. You may have to push the brake pedal down a little, just to get the flow started. No need to start the engine. Tighten the bleeder screw when the fluid starts coming through clean, and remove the vacuum pump. If the car has ABS it really doesn't matter which wheel you do first. Check the reservoir to make sure you don't run out of brake fluid. I would have two bottles of new brake fluid, just to make sure you have enough. Good luck

PS: There should be directions that come with the master cylinder on bench bleeding it before you install. It should be as simple as pouring a little fluid in the master cylinder, and pushing the rod a few times.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 07-01-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: No Brakes...