General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No dashlight, parking light (front or rear), no 'ding' from headlights being left on

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Default No dashlight, parking light (front or rear), no 'ding' from headlights being left on

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX Coupe
--------------------------------------

Ive read about as much as I can from the forums already about this problem.

My dashlights, parking lights (front and rear) as well as the "ding" from my headlight being left on.. all will not work.

Ive checked fuses, found that the #13 15A Small Light fuse was blown. I replaced this and its helped nothing.

Weird thing is.. the problem started out as intermittent. Somedays I would start the car and the lights would work.. somedays they would be off. 5/10/20 mins down the road.. they might pop on. I may hit a bump or some RR tracks and they would go on or off.

Ive heard all kinds of stories from replacing your fuses to replacing the dimmer.

Does anyone have any more experience or new found knowledge on this subject??

Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

Thanks For Joining..

One of our techs is more than likely looking that up for you right today..keep checking back to this forum...

WheelBrokerAng
click the image

Attached Thumbnails No dashlight, parking light (front or rear), no 'ding' from headlights being left on-virginiaflag.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Did the new fuse blow when you put it in there and tried to turn on the lights?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

That definitely sounds like a lose ground. Check all the cables for looseness and corrosion.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

The new fuse "looked" like it was ok.

As for checking cables for looseness ... Im not sure which cables you are talking about.

I was also told that replacing the "dimmer switch" would most likely solve this problem.

But, Im not sure if the dimmer switch is the combination switch on the steering wheel (that controls head lights, parking lights etc)??

or is the dimmer switch the smaller box to the left of the steering wheel that you can turn to control the brightness of your dash lights??

Last edited by prey06; 01-21-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Any of the cables that go to the lights, or the ones that go from the light to the frame.

BTW this is what lead me to believe something was loose
Weird thing is.. the problem started out as intermittent. Somedays I would start the car and the lights would work.. somedays they would be off. 5/10/20 mins down the road.. they might pop on. I may hit a bump or some RR tracks and they would go on or off.
Thats not really something that can be casue by volt spikes, Think about it, if something is loose, if you bump it, it will sometimes make contact

Last edited by Tippman7641; 01-21-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 PM

so I should start at the parking lights and trace the cables back to the fuse box (or wherever they go) to see if there is a bad wire or loose cable ?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Yes, btw do your radio, headlights, windows, function slower? like they have a lack of power?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM

not that ive noticed. windows and radio work fine (other than the bad antenna cable for my radio)

last year each door has a new window motor installed and I have an after market radio installed. but, that was over 1.5 years ago.

this dash/parking light problem is new.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but it really sounds like a loose connection either at a common ground or a common power source(like the fusebox)

Quick Reply: No dashlight, parking light (front or rear), no 'ding' from headlights being left on