General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heat or ac

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Default No heat or ac

I have a '99 Accord LX with manual ac/heater controls, neither of which are operable. None of the control buttons work, none of the lights work, but the fan control is functional. I have determined the fuses in all three boxes are good. I purchased a used control panel from a salvage yard and changed it out but have the same problem. I considered soldering a jumper wire on the old panel as described in some of the online advice but am a bit hesitant to do that. Obviously, I don't know if the replacement panel is bad. From all I have read, the "plug and play" fix seems to be the answer, but not so in my case.
Both the old and "new" panels exhibit corrosion on the circuit board under the rubber pieces at the same through holes as described in some of the fixes I have read about. Any ideas??

Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if there is much more I can add. Yes the jumper wire seems to have solved some, another unit from a JY, another unit from e-bay (known good) ??????

Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. Actually had considered finding another as the replacement has a 30 day warranty. I have seen several references to a #58 fuse in the under hood panel but don't see it in mine. Do you know what that fuse actually protects? I've checked all of the fuses in that panel and I guess it's assigned a different number??

Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

With the manual I have, #58 is for the cond fan and ac comp....of course manuals some times label them differently which can be a PIA.

If you have the unit out......you can always check the wire side pins to see if power and ground are coming into the unit.

Attached Thumbnails No heat or ac-6th-gen-underhood-fuses1.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM

10-4.
One other question--Would low freon cause the entire control to shut down? Obviously, it would affect the ac and I'm guessing the ac would also be used to regulate the heater temps via the control ****.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Low refrigerant (R134a) would not impact heating, vent selection, or heating control.

good luck

Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks--the quest continues!!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest downloading or puchasing a shop manual. Have you checked all fuses for the Heater/AC control panel.

If yes, next step would be to check input voltages and ground feeds to the panel.

good luck

Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Problem solved. Did the jumper wire fix and now have operable system. A little uncertain about "fixing" things this way but will give it a shot. That also proves the replacement I got is defective as well. Hope I don't go out in the morning and find the little Honda in a smoldering heap on the ground! Thanks to all for the help.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Well, of couse we hope the car isn't a smoldering heap as well.

You have a spare ac unit you can also add the jumper to

Quick Reply: No heat or ac