General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No heat from center vents in auto mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Default No heat from center vents in auto mode

Hi. New Honda owner here.

Q1. I have a 2013 Honda V6 Touring model with AT. When I'm using "Auto" mode for heating, no air is coming from the center vents. Air is coming from the side vents and floor. Is this by design? I can manipulate the modes and air will come out of the center vents when bi-level (that's what I'm used to calling it) is chosen.

Q2. I don't appear to have a compass on this vehicle. Is it because I have the NAV option? Clearly I can ascertain my direction by bring up the NAV display, but should I have to? I have tried to access the Compass menu as indicated in the Owner's manual, but no Compass Menu ever appears.

Last edited by pspens; 10-29-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Bump. Anyone? Buehler?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site! However, I don't know the answer.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to stop by your dealership and ask. Check out some other 13 accords in there as well.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

A1: This is probably by design. The way the auto climate control works; the system automatically selects the proper mix of conditioned and/or heated air that will, as quickly as possible, raise or lower the interior temperature to your preference.

Generally, to rapidly warm the interior the quickest, heat setting would select the floor vent mode. Some air will flow from the dashboard corner vents in all modes.

A2: Your Touring model with navigation does have a compass. 2014 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

The compass should be displayed on the navigation screen in the upper left hand corner.

Try this: Press and hold the MENU, NAVI, and BACK buttons at the same time. This will bring up the diagnostic menu. At the “Select Diagnostic Items” screen, select “Detail Information and Settings”.

(I am not sure if your system with navigation will show the “Region” selection, if it does, continue as stated.) At the “Detail Information and Settings”, select “Region”. In “Region Select”, select “USA/Hawaii/Puerto Rico”.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
A1: This is probably by design. The way the auto climate control works; the system automatically selects the proper mix of conditioned and/or heated air that will, as quickly as possible, raise or lower the interior temperature to your preference.

Generally, to rapidly warm the interior the quickest, heat setting would select the floor vent mode. Some air will flow from the dashboard corner vents in all modes.

A2: Your Touring model with navigation does have a compass. 2014 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

The compass should be displayed on the navigation screen in the upper left hand corner.

Try this: Press and hold the MENU, NAVI, and BACK buttons at the same time. This will bring up the diagnostic menu. At the “Select Diagnostic Items” screen, select “Detail Information and Settings”.

(I am not sure if your system with navigation will show the “Region” selection, if it does, continue as stated.) At the “Detail Information and Settings”, select “Region”. In “Region Select”, select “USA/Hawaii/Puerto Rico”.
Thanks for your response. However, I have a 2013. I will try what you suggest anyway. I asked the dealership this question and they said "no", but that I could purchase a rearview mirror for $399 which had a compass on it!

Another question: how does one obtain a service manual? I've searched the internet and have found nothing except various user manuals.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

The 2013 Touring does have the compass. Refer to the "intelligent Multi - Information Display" section:

2013 Honda Accord Sedan - Specifications - Official Honda Site

Currently, it doesn't look like the service manual is available for retail purchase.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

A1: This is probably by design. The way the auto climate control works; the system automatically selects the proper

I got to the Detail information and settings screen but no "Region" selection was available.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

On the Intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID)for the Touring model, it only displays when in the navigation screen.

Intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) | 2013 Honda Accord-Sedan | Honda Owners Site

Attached Thumbnails No heat from center vents in auto mode-imid.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM

On the Intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID)for the Touring model, it only displays when in the navigation screen.

Intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) | 2013 Honda Accord-Sedan | Honda Owners Site
Yeah I see what is shown in the attached jpeg. Note that isn't a compass reading. That's an indication that you're in North-Up mode. There are 2 modes, North Up and Direction Up. I haven't tried the direction up mode to see what it looks like. Anyway, the chart of features is obviously erroneous.

I just found out something else I didn't know about my new Honda. I was going to check the trans fluid and couldn't find the dipstick. Apparently, there isn't any. The owner's manual says to have the dealer check it! That's weird and I don't like it much. I really don't like to depend on dealers for maintenance-type issues.

Quick Reply: No heat from center vents in auto mode