General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No low beams 96' Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Default No low beams 96' Honda Accord

**updated for clarity***

Ok, let me restate the problem clearly. I have no low beams ever. If it's set on low beams I can press the flip switch in and it turns on high beams while I hold it. I let go of it and my lights go off(no low beams...). Now while it's set on high beams I have my high beams. The toggle switch between low/high sometimes(Always when I start the car) will allow me to switch the high to low, this lasts for about 30 seconds and then reverts back to high beams. So that's my problem, I guess it has to be a relay or the physical switch? Or it's the switch?

**updated for clarity***

Solution: Removed dimmer relay and now the car has low beams on the high beam setting. Good enough solution for me.

Here's a link to the 1996 Honda Accord Factory Electrical Manual. The solution to fix the car is probably in here somewhere but, I for one, am satisfied with my fix.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...1496TN68PDEPA3

Last edited by Hondahonda; 03-16-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Updated progress of repair
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Is this something recent...meaning that at one point when you owned the car the lights worked fine.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM

They have never worked since I owned it. I'm not sure if they ever worked and I have no contact information for the former owner( >_< ). Also let me correct my statement, sometimes the low beams work very very intermittently. For instance, when it's on high beams sometimes it will switch to low beams.

Set on High beams = high beam lights 98% of the time when switched on HB, with occassional 4-5 second blips down to low beams. sometimes blips back and forth switching as much as 4-5 times in a 11 second span. WTF, right?

Set on Low beams = no lights ever. Period.

Turn signals work fine. Once a month thought it blips double-time like the left signal is out, but it comes on after 5-10 seconds never more than a minute or two.(related?) The relay under the hood was replaced. Is there another in the 96' Honda?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

For the headlight problem, check the dimmer relay (it should be a 5 terminal relay) located in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Attached Thumbnails No low beams 96' Honda Accord-dimmer-relay.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

You can also test the headlight relay (a 4 terminal relay). But, my first guess would be the dimmer relay.

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Both the relays are new. I think the used headlight switch I got must be defective. Cause really, what else controls the dimmer besides the fuse under the hood and the switch itself?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 AM

sounds like a short to power to me. do you know how to read wiring diagrams? lol.

going to need to trace the ppower wires to the switch.

start at the headlight harness.

im in my first of 3 electrical courses at school and we are starting on wiring diagrams. so let me know if you need help

Attached Thumbnails No low beams 96' Honda Accord-lighting-diagram.jpg  
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM

look for damaged or frayed wires

Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310
sounds like a short to power to me. do you know how to read wiring diagrams? lol.

going to need to trace the ppower wires to the switch.

start at the headlight harness.

im in my first of 3 electrical courses at school and we are starting on wiring diagrams. so let me know if you need help

I'm not sure on this, but I believe if it was a power to short I wouldn't have any lights at all, right? One of the guys at auto zone and another place said it was a probably a power to ground issue. Anybody have a diagram or any advice for checking for this? I'd take it somewhere but I already paid one guy who didn't fix it, and so I don't have any more money to throw down the tubes.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tested the dimmer and headlight relay, I see they are new but have to ask.

Test the switch next, I see you replaced it but test the pins.

Attached Thumbnails No low beams 96' Honda Accord-5th-gen-headlight-switch-test.jpg  

Quick Reply: No low beams 96' Honda Accord