General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No shift, no reverse 92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Would it really cause no reverse?!? That is what really boggles my mind if its not the clutches, why don't I have reverse?!? It still goes strong in first and manually into second, everyone has told me that the computer has nothing to do with reverse.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Missed the part about reverse. We are starting to get into the internals that I don't know too well.

So I'll stay on the simple stuff that I know about automatics. How much fluid did you drain out? How much did you add? How are you checking fluid level (engine running, off, hot engine or cold)? How did the fluid look when you drained?

Since you found another TCU, what codes returned?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 PM

I didn't measure the fluid but it seemed like it took the same amount of time as it always has, I put about 2 3/4 quarts back in, it was burnt, still saw a bit of red, but I had to add some Saturday, also saw more metal shavings than the last time I did it. I didn't think to check codes again :/

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Check the level. Start the engine and let it reach operating temperature, then shut off the engine. Then check the fluid level on the dipstick. You just want to make sure that you are at the proper level.

The transmission holds about 9 quarts of fluid, but only about three quarts drain. If you drain, refill, then drive 3 times, you will replace most of the fluid.

Reset the ECU/TCU by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box. Start and try to drive the car. Then recheck the codes.

You want to make sure that the simple stuff is done correctly, before assuming the transmission is shot.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 AM

Ok, thank you, I'll get to that tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Ok, I checked the shift solenoid screens, I checked the fluid both cold and hot, hot it was within range. I reset the computer, I only have a ECU code 7 and a TCU code 7, still no shifting or reverse. It is too hot to do two more flushes, will have to let it cool and try that. I did go too long between changes this time and I know it, I hope that getting the fluid completely changed, well as completely as you can short of taking the transmission apart, that it will shift again. 1 and 2 are very strong, maybe something is clogged.

It has not been grinding in any "gear" (reverse, D4, D3, 2, 1)

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Oh and it basically happened overnight, I drove it, no problem, Saturday morning, by Saturday evening, it was no longer shifting and no reverse.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Love CB7Tuner

Problem: My car won't automatically shift into second (non computerized only.) What is causing it?

Solution: Possible shift valve seized. Rebuild required. (effectively, a rebuild simply requires sanding the shift valve.)

Problem: My car won't go in reverse (can't backup.) What is causing it?

Solutions: On car without an electronic transmission, replace fourth gear selector or the affected gear(s). The reverse gear is activated by fluid pressure. Check for an internal clogged fluid. Cars with electronic transmission don't require the shift solenoid to go in reverse
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=179566

Old 09-09-2015, 02:51 PM

I wonder, could a clog cause both reverse and forward gears to not work, but yet........I can manually shift into 2nd. I'm so confused by this and I feel like total crap physically due to stress.

So................
ECU 7 = TPS
TCU 7 = shift solenoid A

Would a TPS cause a no shift/reverse? Why no grinding? Could it be because of a clog? And it's simply not getting fluid in order to shift? ARG!!!! I wish I had a manual transmission!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:01 PM

I just had a thought, it did shift hard once just before I got home, but still no grinding. And I mean hard, much harder than it had ever done before.

Quick Reply: No shift, no reverse 92 Accord