General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark, main relay? Accord 1992

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question No spark, main relay? Accord 1992

Car: Honda Accord 1992 2.0

Hi all, i'll just start from the beginning.

The other day i started to install some extra lights on my accord and after they were installed. I started the car drowe 200meter and the car just died. I tried to crank the car to get it to start but didn't get any sparks.

I figuered this had to be an electrical problem sence i probably did something wrong when installing the extra lights.

I've removed one of the sparkplugs and pressed it against the chassi while trying to start the car but no spark. Also i'm not hearing the fuel pump when i try to start the car (i've actually never ever heard it, but then again i have never really tried to listen to it).
So from what i've read on other forums, it's most likely the main relay that is broken.

Now my next problem is that i can't seem to find the main relay.
I've seen a lot of pictures where it should be, but that's not the case on my car. Now what i was wondering is that do all 1992 accords even have a main relay?

Here are some pictures that i took today after removing the dash, and still haven't found the main relay.

http://img137.imageshack.us/g/sdc10767.jpg/

Last edited by MrZeuS; 09-18-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

The headder says 92, the body say 98 and 92. No spark and no fuel, I'd also think about the key switch. Have you checked for fuel at the fuel rail/injectors. I have to ask as I'm guessing you are not in the US, this is a fuel injected model. Try the link below, I'm still looking thru your pic's but my connection is slow so it is taking some time to open them.

http://www.techautorepairs.com/mainrelaydefine.html

Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

I made it thru the pic's. Don't take this the wrong way...you've gutted the thing! I hope the link helps, identifing what it looks like. I'm wondering if you've already removed it in the disassembly you've done.
There are many things that could cause no spark (ICM, coil, key switch, ect). In the same link there is also a section on testing the ign system. You'll want to read thru that as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the fast reply.

To answere your questions:

-It's a 1992, misspelled in body.
-Correct i'm not in the US, i'm in europe. But it doesn't have fuelinjection system, sence it has a carburetor.
-And i have looked at all the parts i have removed and the main relay is not among them. Thought it maybe could be attatched somewere below the dash but nothing there eighter.

About the link you posted, i've seen it before, and look at all the possible places in that link, but nothing.
Btw. my car doesn't have a cruise controll box eighter, sence it shows in the pictures that one possible location could be behind the cc-box .

Is it possible that my car doesn't have a main relay, and my car is using someother kind of system?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MrZeuS; 09-18-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

That is what I was afraid of. Main relay issues you see/hear/read about are mostly for Fuel Injected engines. Carb models are a bit of a different set up. Look in the DIY section for online manuals (spoonertuner ?), last time I was there I thought I saw manuals for UK models. That would be a better source of information as I believe the link above is mainly for US models.

EDIT: if like my older accords the fuel pump relay is actually on the fuse panel.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So carb models don't have a main relay?
Then what kinda system are they using?

Went to spoonertuner and noticed they had a manual for UK models there but they had no working download link
I can't belive it's this hard to find a UK/EU version of an accord 91-93 service manual.
Been searching the net for 2hours now and nothing

Tried to download a few more manuals of the US models to see if i could find something useful there.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM

I had this problem a while ago with my '93 and it was the ignition switch. The electronic part, not the key part. I changed that and it all started to work.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the reply mike i'm gona have a look at it today

Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ehm... Mike was this the part you replaced?

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ho...t=SEO+Page%3A1

Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yes that is the elect part of the switch. Did you test your old one.

Quick Reply: No spark, main relay? Accord 1992