General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noob question: what does this push button and this light do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Default noob question: what does this push button and this light do?

I have no idea what this push button does and what the light on the steering wheel does.
I believe it is a security system. But have never figured out how to turn it on.
I have attached the picture of the button and the light on the steering wheel.
The button is below the coin holder.
The light is on the steering wheel.

I would like to know, how to use this button and light. (is it factory installed? or could this be added on? I dont know what the previous owner did to this car)
I have never seen that light ON.

The button below the coin holder compartment:
noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_20101031_142542.jpg

The pilot lamp on the steering wheel:
noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_20101031_142604.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I took it with a cell phone camera.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 PM

These items were probably installed by a previous owner. There is no telling what the previous owner installed. The young guy who owned my truck installed a switch in that same area, for lighted windshield washer sprayers. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to trace the wires.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

They surely look like what would be installed by a stereo security shop.
I would take your car to a stereo shop that installs multiable types of security systems to see if they know what it is.
If they are a good shop, their installer technician will know..

Let us know on a follow up post.
WheelBrokerAng

Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info folks.
I did think it was a security system.
The car was broken into once before I bought it, and the head unit was stolen.
May be when they put a new one in they didn't connect it back or whatever.
I will check with a stereo shop, may be in some weekend, it doesnt bother me, but at least I would like to find out.
May be its a rocket launcher button (just kidding)

Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Arrow

Push that button while your doing about 55 mph and see if this happens to you...

Attached Thumbnails noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-081810megastar.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM

I checked today again by removing the lower dash cover, the only thing that connectes to the switch is a two wire cable to a harness. I couldnt trace the harness all the way back. I dont have a garage and its too cold to stay out and try to dismantle everything.
I disconnected it and started the car, it started fine, reconnected and it started fine as well. I have no idea what that button does.
I have put a picture of the harness, may be someone can tell me what it is.
My car wont start now, but I believe the button is not related to that issue. So I have get the car fixed now.
Damn, maintaining car is like maintaining a wife. One day she suddenly decides to be cranky and the whole day is ruined.
Well I have attached the picture below. I know it doesnt help much, but may be someone knows what it is and how it is supposed to work.
sorry still using the cell phone camera.
I have attached the pictures of harness from the cable bunch from the car and the harness from the button.

Attached Thumbnails noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_20101114_131552.jpg   noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_20101114_131610.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reconnect the harness connector to wherever it was plugged in. It probably is an alarm reset switch. While pushing the button, try turning the ignition to on. Your car not starting may be related.

Normally, ff the security system is still hooked up and the battery is disconnected, the reset button has to be pressed.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM

I did reconnect it and the car started fine, ran fine for a couple of hours.
The cable is still connected, the light on the top of the steering wheel didnt light up when I connected/disconnected the harness.
I will try pressing the switch and turning the car ON later once I get to where I left the car.
I really hope it works out, i really dont want to get the car towed.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Although yours look like an aftermarket security system, the LED and the reset button is installed similar to the Honda one.

www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com/instal/aii/pages/accord/1997/18016_04.html

(Just replace "dot" with " . " for the link.) --Active links not allowed on this forum.

Good luck with whatever may be causing your car not to start.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Got the car starting, and drove it to my apartment. But stopped and doesnt start again.
I will look over it this weekend.
Checked the security alarm switch by pressing the reset and key to ON position, nothing happens.
Tried every combination of pressing the reset switch, turning the key to ON, OFF position.
No go.

Quick Reply: noob question: what does this push button and this light do?