General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nylon Mesh Windows Screens and Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM
jaykleg
Unregistered
Default Nylon Mesh Windows Screens and Air Bags

Hi, folks.

I'd like to place a pair of those suction-cup-affixed nylon mesh screens in the back window of our new Accord sedan, to drop the heat load on the rear shelf and the backs of rear passengers' necks.

Being one of those boring guys who actually reads the manual, I noticed that the manual warns against affixing anything to the "rear windows" because it might interfere with proper operation of the side curtain air bags. Okay. Makes sense that putting the little screens on the SIDE rear windows might get in the way of the air bags. But the rear-facing window? Hard to tell exactly what the manual means. Does anyone know for certain whether or not the proscription includes the rear-facing window?

Old 09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Nylon Mesh Windows Screens and Air Bags

I'm certain they are talking about the side windows in the rear.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
jaykleg
Unregistered

That's what I would think, but the people at my Honda dealership weren't so sure. The way the manual is worded is a little ambiguous.

Have you seen the rear airbags employed in this car? From the look of things the deployment occurs from an area well removed from that rearmost window.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 AM

Why not simply have the windows tinted? Not only would it look better, it would do a better job overall.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:11 AM

No I have not......and hope never to see it!!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 AM
jaykleg
Unregistered

I'll think about tinting but prefer not to do this for a couple of reasons. There are some somewhat arbitrarily enforced laws pertaining to aftermarket tinting in these parts, and the little mesh thingies are removable.

And, yes, it would be nice to never see air bags deployed. I was just wondering if you, or anyone else here, might have been able to ascertain from direct observation whether or not mesh installed on the rearmost window would be likely to interfere with bag deployment.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 AM

what year is yours....'05?

Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM

where are you located? They are strict on the back windows being tinted?

Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
jaykleg
Unregistered

Yup. 2005 EX.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
jaykleg
Unregistered

This car is registered and housed in Pennsylvania.

A pertinent link from the state AG - http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press...vis/July02.cfm

The law is primarily designed to protect law enforcement officers who want to be able to see, for instance, what people are doing on the inside of a car they have stopped. I suspect that the law is scientifically unjustifiable without a far more precisely worded definition of "light". Obviously some types of "light" don't even contribute to anyone's ability to see anything. Obviously, the rear-facing window isn't included, but that doesn't seem to matter to the police or the courts. Besides, a car with a black rear window and clear side windows looks kind of dorky to me.

Frankly, I think that extremely darkly tinted glas also detracts from overall safety on the road. There are times when it's very helpful to be able to peer through the glass of another car to help apprise one's self of the status of traffic on the other side of that car. Too bad they can't make SUVs and mini-vans transparent.

On the other hand, uh, I'm not sure I really want to see what's going on inside some of those things.

Be all that as it may be, the police in Pennsylvania are not particularly prone to go looking for people with windows that don't meet the standard, but they will land on you like a ton of bricks if they make a stop for some other reason and see that your windows are dark. Considering some of the incidents that have occurred I can't say that I blame them. The reputable inspection shops won't pass a car with dark glass for state inspection, either. If you drive on these roads you see a few people with PA tags flaunting the law, but they will be up against a serious rough spot if they happen to have any kind of dealings with the state police, and many of the local police departments, too.

So, for legal reasons, I won't be fiddling around with tinting. Keeping the manufactured tinting means I have no problem with the law. Besides, I really do want to be able to remove the sunscreen behavior. For some driving conditions I find even the standard tint to be just a little dark.

----

Had to edit. Must learn to complete a thought before proceeding to the next one. Duh

Quick Reply: Nylon Mesh Windows Screens and Air Bags