General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Default OBD codes

Is it possible to read the OBD codes on a 2001 Accord 2.0 VTEC? If so how?
After a mere 100,00 miles the engine warning light has permanently lit up on my Accord. What a bxmmxr

Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: OBD codes

take it to autozone, they usually read the codes for free.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you? 2001 never came with 2.0 liters in USA, so Autozone might not even be there. What kind of auto=parts stores?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm in England & unfortunately there is no "Autozone" for me to go to to get the code checked, hence my request for a D-I-Y method, I wanted to know how to read the DTC by watching the blinking warning light..

I went to my local Honda garage who read the code (for the equivalent of 80 US dollars by the way). They decoded a MIL code of P1167, they reckon this indicated a broken secondary O2 sensor on the CAT ie the expensive heated sensor (sensor 2). I looked up the code on the net and found that it indicated a bad primary O2 sensor (sensor 1). Maybe they've mistaken the MIL code, taken from the Honda OBD2 device with the DTC code which lists "67" as a bad sensor 2. At 80 dollars a go I'm not inclined to look for a 2nd opinion.

So, is there a way to read the code from looking at the engine warning light?

Old 08-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I know it doesn't help now, but for the future why not purchase an inexpensive OBD2 scanner. They are readily available in US for < $50 (check ebay).

I looked at batauto.com and it was not clear whether there is a way to access the honda flash codes for a 2001 Accord. According to batauto.com, P1167 is failure of the heater circuit on the primary (forward of catalyic converter) O2 sensor. Note, this code doesn't only mean the O2 sensor could be at fault. It could also be damaged connector, or damaged wiring harness. O2 sensor can be disconnnected from vehicle and tested w/ a VOM by checking the heater circuit resistance. If O2 heater circuit is open or a dead short (< 5 ohms perhaps), then heater element is faulty and a new sensor is needed. If O2 sensor checks OK (pretty low probability but possible), then wiring or connector fault is likely.

good luck

Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: taffia

I went to my local Honda garage who read the code (for the equivalent of 80 US dollars by the way). They decoded a MIL code of P1167, they reckon this indicated a broken secondary O2 sensor on the CAT ie the expensive heated sensor (sensor 2). I looked up the code on the net and found that it indicated a bad primary O2 sensor (sensor 1). Maybe they've mistaken the MIL code, taken from the Honda OBD2 device with the DTC code which lists "67" as a bad sensor 2. At 80 dollars a go I'm not inclined to look for a 2nd opinion.

So, is there a way to read the code from looking at the engine warning light?

You're right that code would point to a problem with the primary o2 sensor heater/circuit.

You can jump the code manually like this. (in the USA anyway)

Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 AM

Thanks again for the informative replies.

I'll test the sensor as texashonda suggested & go from there. I guess that disconnecting the battery should clear the code if & whenI fix the cause of the problem.

BTW I use this site as a) it is for Accord info and b) it is by far the best site for Honda related info.. Maybe this is because in the USA everything is more open, in the UK you can't buy DIY manuls for Accords later than about 1998, I rely on this site for tech info.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

AutoZone is just a chain of auto parts stores. Is there nothing like that in UK?Phone around to auto parts stores in your area...

Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Jim, you getting nothing "free" in Britain.

Taking texashonda's advice I checked the heater circuit and it is open so a new sensor is needed. The Honds item (made by Denso) costs about 420 dollars here, I can get one for 130 dollars but I don't know who made it or how effective it would be. So again I'll bite the bullet & get my local Honda shop to replace it with a guaranteed Honda spare.
BTW my engine is a F20B6 which was used from 1999 to 2001. Anyone know what the difference is to this and the B3 or the later B7. I think there all SOHC motors.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Isn't the Euro Accord our Acura TSX? Is it still under warranty??

EDIT: Def no warranty @ 100K

Quick Reply: OBD codes