General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD II code terminology

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Default OBD II code terminology

HiYa, the "light" came on yesterday and I retrieved these two codes. Obviously it's an o2 sensor, but can someone explain the terminology? PO136 o2 sensor circuit malfunction bank 1, sensor 2. & PO138 o2 sensor circuit high volts bank 1, sensor 2.Does this mean the o2 sensor needs to be replaced, or is this a "glitch" ? thanks! Ps. Just had a new "cat" installed 6 months ago. Car has 114K. Was driving in wet snow weather for the last week or so.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OBD II code terminology

what those two codes together mean is that the voltage was way beyond normal parameters; like the engine was running so rich the sensor couldn't cope with the reading.
I'd say to reset the ECU [have your radio code handy]
And try it out for 2 drive cycles to see if it recodes.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM

I cleared the codes and they re-appeared again. Does this mean the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced or is "something" elsesending the high voltage signals to the o2 sensor? I "smelled" the exhaust, it seems normal, and the car is running just fine. (25 mpg on the highway) Maybe I should check for anybare wires on the harness to the o2 to see if they are shorting out? If there were, would that trigger the codes?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM

I did a scan and THIS TIME I got P0141,,,, 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2..... What the **#@% does this mean? Tomorrow a.m. I'm crawling underneath to see if the harness is melted or try to find something... any more helping comments would be great! Thanks again....

oh yea,,,, after I left the parts store after borrowing the scanner & clearing the code as I left the parking lot the check enginge light came on immeidately.....[:@][X(]

Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM

most likely if the cat was done by an aftermarket shop they might have left the wiring loose, and it rubbed through on a heatshield or something(fairly common with aftermarket shops).

otherwise, get under there and inspect it. can you see any wiring damage? heater failure means either the o2 sensor heater fuse is blown or the sensor heater element is shot.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 62maxx

I did a scan and THIS TIME I got P0141,,,, 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction, bank 1, sensor 2..... What the **#@% does this mean? Tomorrow a.m. I'm crawling underneath to see if the harness is melted or try to find something... any more helping comments would be great! Thanks again....

oh yea,,,, after I left the parts store after borrowing the scanner & clearing the code as I left the parking lot the check enginge light came on immeidately.....[:@][X(]
That is the main reason that I tell people not to erase codes..you can fool yourself but you can't fool the ECU..it knows when you dont fix things and it puts the code light back on again...**

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: hondadude

Hey there HondaDude, your doing a fine job of helping out the members in here...I'd like to Thank You for your great posting and Answers...
WBAngelo

Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Default RE: OBD II code terminology & where is the 02 sensor heater fuse located?

Well Iinspected the 02 harness, no melting or bare wires, un-plugged the connector and cleaned the 4 terminals and sprayed some WD40 in there, plugged it in & went to clear the code of P0141 (02 sensor heater circuit malfunction) and it immediately came back on.Cleared it twice and came back on[:'(]. So someone stated that the 02 sensor heater fuse could be blown or the sensor heater element is shot. So Ifound a #17 fuse under the hood (40 amp) said heater motor and there was also a heater motor relay. Is this for the cabin heater I presume? ( it would be nice if it stated BLOWER MOTOR meaning A/C & heater) So before I start drinking beer, where would the 02 sensor heater fuse be located?[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Thanks again......

Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OBD II code terminology & where is the 02 sensor heater fuse located?

ORIGINAL: 62maxx

... So before I start drinking beer, where would the 02 sensor heater fuse be located?[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Thanks again......
End of the dashboard, driver's side fusebox (open the door, it's near the hinges). Fuse #6 - it should be 15A.

Quick Reply: OBD II code terminology