General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odd engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Odd engine knock

Hi guys, I just joined this forum and want to ask a question. I just picked up a low mileage (150,000) 1991 Accord for my daughters first car knowing that there was an engine problem. I already have a donor car in the driveway to swap engines but I am not sure that will be nessasary. Okay, here's the scoop... the engine knocks with what sounds just like a bad rod bearing...but when you drop the auto trans into gear it goes silent. I have lost rod bearings in the past and they never did that. So I am wonering, is it common for honda automatics to have flex plate issues? I am kinda thinking it might be loose torque converter bolts to the flex plate or even a cracked flex plate. I have not torn into this project at all but I will have some time to work on it this weekend and have just been thinking it thru so far. Is there anything else that would manifest itself with the same type of heavy mechanical knocking that a rod bearing would exhibit? What do you think?
Thanks for reading.
Mike

Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could put a load on the engine then pull a spark plug wire with the plastic pliers they make to do that and if it starts knocking you will know it is in the engine and general location. You can have someone with their foot on brake in reverse while you do the work. Reverse to be a little safer. I am not familiar with any problems with flex plates. The thrust bearing on the crank may have something to do with the noise going away under load as if it is worn the crank will move around.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Chris, pulling the plug wires one by one was on my list of diognostics for this weekend...finally off work and will have some time to mess with it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I guess it looks like the engine comes out...#4 rod bearing is the culprit Time for some surgery on the donor car.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 PM

why take out engine if only rod bearing is bad??

remove the oil pan and inspect the crankshaft ,, if only the bearings are bad install new rod and main bearings ,, you can do all this without removing the engine
if it needs a crank it is a different story

Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM

I used to work for a garage that did a lot of changing main and rod bearings in the car and most didn’t last a year. I guess it depends on the general condition of the motor other than the one bearing. It is worth a look compared to changing motors. I think a piston pin could also be the noise.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I guess it wouldn't hurt to drop the pan and have a look, to make that much noise I would think it can't be good...but it does go silent with either the spark plug wire removed or dropping into gear and putting a load on the engine. Since I just got the car I don't know if the previous owner let it run low on oil or how long they drove it that way. Could be more bearings on the death march but haven't got bad enough to make noise yet.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, got the bottom end apart and #4 rod bearing spun. Crank journal looks pretty good but I will mic it to be sure it is still round. The bearing shells had not climed over each other yet but it couldn't have been far off so every thing was still riding on bearing material. Looks like the previous owner ran it low on oil based on the massive leak by the oil filter and wet undercarriage behind that point. I don't know for sure but it looks like #4 is last in line for oil in the galley so it makes sense that it gave up if there was a shortage of oil.

When obtaining replacement rod bearings is the number stamped across the parting line on the connecting rod the identifying number for the correct bearing? I have not been into a Honda this far before and I read somewhere that there are different bearings used on assembly of these and there are no identifying marks left on the bearing shell I just pulled out. Also are all of the rod bearings matched in case I decide to replace the others, if one is a 2 then will they all be 2's in the same engine? Oh one other thing, is the oil pan gasket on these a reusable style...it looks like the reusable valve cover gaskets. Just wondering

Regards, Mike

Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Rubber gaskets for oilpan and valvecover. Heat & age make them hardened, so they're only kinda re-usable if they're fairly new. I bet if you re-use the pan gasket, it'll leak.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM

my car has a knocking noise but it only happens when im on the gas pretty hard and let go right away. it only knocks once. is this the same thing or is yours a continuos knocking?

Quick Reply: Odd engine knock