General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Odd problem...

Ok so the car seems to run fine. Today it died and well it was on empty so I put some gas in it. Car is running fine and I go to the store come out and try to start the car. Gas gauge is below e and the car doesn't want to start. I turn the key to the on position but don't start it and the gas gauge slowly starts rising and the car starts just fine. This has happened twice today. Whats going on here?

Last edited by 94ex915; 01-24-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Need help on this tonight. Hoping to get it fixed before tomorrow. I need the car =\

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Need more detail. When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (the point where the engine is running on its own and you release the key)?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Need more detail. When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (the point where the engine is running on its own and you release the key)?

The car started once then died right away. Another time it was just cranking and didn't want to start. Let it sit a little bit, the gas gauge went back up and the car started fine.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Turn the car to the on position but didn't try to start it and the gauge dropped to past empty and the car won't start...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

So the car will start if the gauge is working?

Turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car. The fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds when the check engine light turns on for the bulb check. Listen carefully for the fuel pump, because it is a light buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. Turn off the radio, blower, etc... to hear it.

When the the fuel gauge is not working, try wiggling the key. Let us know if the gauge starts to work.

Do you think that you ran the car to empty, or was the gauge not working?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
So the car will start if the gauge is working?

Turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car. The fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds when the check engine light turns on for the bulb check. Listen carefully for the fuel pump, because it is a light buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. Turn off the radio, blower, etc... to hear it.

When the the fuel gauge is not working, try wiggling the key. Let us know if the gauge starts to work.

Do you think that you ran the car to empty, or was the gauge not working?
It seems like if the gauge isn't working the car won't start. I'll try to listen for the pump. And it was low on gas but not low enough to where the car died while it was driving. It didn't want to start at the gas station so gas was put into it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Can hear the buzzing. Started to jack the rear up to check out the tank and before I jacked it all the way up I decided to see if it would start. Put the key in the second position, gauge starts going up, car starts...

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Would a bad fuel pump cause this problem?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you were talking about the temperature gauge working or not, then I'd say a bad ignition switch could be the problem.

Quick Reply: Odd problem...