General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer light

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 AM
mglover
Unregistered
Default Odometer light

I have a 2002 Accord EX Coupe and my odometer light has stopped working. Has anyone replaced this, or do you know how involved it would be? I'd hate to have to take it to the dealer to get a bulb replaced.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Odometer light

getting the dash taken apart is actually a pretty big job......if you dont know alot about hondas i wouldnt attempt it yourself. most of the screws that take the dash off.....are hiding behind the buttons and switches and the air vents.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:17 PM

I think it still might be under warranty. go to your local honda dealer and consult them.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:24 PM

I would say go to your local auto store or bookstore and look for a repair manual, flip through the book and see how big a job you think it is/if you could do it yourself... it's not always difficult to remove but yeah it can be a job and a half.... it looks easy and you want to try it grab the $10.00 manual and $1.00 bulb and go for it, if it's not under warranty what are you out? $11.00 and you end up going to a mechanic to get it replaced anyway, just be aware that with dash jobs if the mechanic is a moron you can wind up with some REALLY annoying rattles from your dash (if it's a full dash pull job...)

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I purchased the Haynes book for my newer Honda. I need to replace the odometer bulb as well since I noticed that was out when I took the car out for it's first night drive with me last night! The clock light was out as well, but thanks to these forums and the people on it, the light won't be out for much longer.

I am a little wary of tackling the odometer bulb replacement. By the looks of the manual, the steering wheel needs to come off to get at the panel. Normally this would not phase me (I've had the steering wheel column off many times with my 1988 Accord) yet this whole air bag thing has me spooked!!

Has anyone actually replaced the bulb themselves without taking off the column? or is that part of the proceedure?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM

when removing a steeringwheel/airbag as long as the battery is disconnected it can't go off and it's usually in it's own neat little case with just a single connection.... if that's your only holdup I wouldn't worry to much...

Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Once the weather clears up I'll give it a shot. I always disconnect the battery when tinkering with the car. Good to know that it's in a little case. I wouldn't want to accidentally puncture it or anything.

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

when removing a steeringwheel/airbag as long as the battery is disconnected it can't go off and it's usually in it's own neat little case with just a single connection.... if that's your only holdup I wouldn't worry to much...

Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok still haven't had the chance to get the odometer bulb changed. Does anyone know what wattage/size I should be going for when doing this? I don't want to pull apart the dash area to have to pull out the bulb and take it somewhere saying "I need this".

I've also noticed that the dash lights are quite dim (yes I have played with the dimmer switch and they are on their brighest [8D]). Is there a way of boosting it?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:07 PM

if its not to late with this post... u do not need to remove the steering just lower it down as far as it let you,and yes you have to remove your dash to get to your instrument panel.remove the cluster and andfrom there you can replace your bulb. if your dimmerdoes not help your light to brigthen upthen it is probably your bulb that is weak.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

This guy Mike posted 1 post in the forums and never came back..
Do you ever think he will be coming back TruKid21...email him and see if he answers you about this..maybe he forgot he even joined way back then...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=groupwave.gif]

Quick Reply: Odometer light