General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil in antifreeze

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Default oil in antifreeze

I have a 99 Honda accord v tech and am having overheating problems caused by oil leaking into my **** freeze, and yes I have already had the head pressure checked and everything came back normal, no I'm at a stand still and have no idea how to find out where the oil is leaking into the coolent, I need help!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I rather doubt your engine is overheating due to some oil contamination of the coolant; rather the overheating is likely what caused the fault which allowed the oil make its way into the cooling system. How long since you replaced the thermostat?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Watch where you post. This "HAF help" board is for questions about how the website works. I'm going to move this over to General Tech where it belongs.

I'm with shipo, the oil won't cause the overheating, until there's so much oil that your antifreeze turns into sludge.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Ok but my question is how is the oil getting into the coolant,.head gasket is already been checked and its fine, also had the head pressure tested and it has no cracks or leaks, so now I'm at a stand still because I have no idea how the oil is getting into the coolant

Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

How was the headgasket checked exactly? They can leak between oil & coolant while the cylinders are sealed OK. So in that case a compression or leakdown test might be OK.

Pressurize the cooling system with a leak-tester, maybe you can tell if it's going somewhere that way?

Are you getting any coolant into the oil? That might show up as muddy crud condensing on the oil-fill-cap.

Maybe it might be transmission fluid? Automatic trans??? The bottom of the radiator has a couple tubes connecting trans-fluid that flows through the radiator to cool the ATF. Maybe those are leaking?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

When you had things "checked", were said checks done when the engine was hot?

The thing is, I've encountered "cracks" (in both heads and blocks) which test out perfectly when the engine is either cold or when it is at a normal operating temperature, however, when things get hotted up (due to say a bad thermostat or from towing a heavy load up a long grade on a hot summer day), the crack opens up and problems happen.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
How was the headgasket checked exactly? They can leak between oil & coolant while the cylinders are sealed OK. So in that case a compression or leakdown test might be OK.

Pressurize the cooling system with a leak-tester, maybe you can tell if it's going somewhere that way?

Are you getting any coolant into the oil? That might show up as muddy crud condensing on the oil-fill-cap.

Maybe it might be transmission fluid? Automatic trans??? The bottom of the radiator has a couple tubes connecting trans-fluid that flows through the radiator to cool the ATF. Maybe those are leaking?
I like the ATF idea; could be tranny fluid in the coolant and a separate issue with the thermostat.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Nothing is getting into my.tranny or oil pan, and the head was checked after I had already taken it off the car, and I just replaced the thermostat before I tore the car apart, and thanks ill pressure test the things you have told me and ill get back to you if I still can't figure the problem out

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

This is getting more & more curious.

We're just trying to NOT take ANYTHING for granted. Things that we suggest are probably gonna get more & more obscure as we run out of ideas for things that are common.

Oil floats on top of water, so you might not see much on the dipstick (engine or trans). Likewise the oil-sludge floats to the top of the radiator right up where you can see it in the radiator neck. Analysis of an oil sample (either engine or trans) can tell you if there's any antifreeze in it.

Last edited by JimBlake; 10-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM

There is no oil in the tranny or oil pan, emptied them both and nither has coolant in it,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil in antifreeze