General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Default Oil change?

Since i have the newer accords I am hearing that I do not need to change my oil until it hits 5000. I am use to changing them at 3000. I am about 200 miles shy from the 3000, but I'm not sure what i should do. This is the first oil change my car is getting so do i wait or just do it at 3000. [:-]

Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Default RE: Oil change?

5k is what Honda reccomends on the new body style accords as a selling point because they require less maintanence. But as a mechanic I personally reccomend 3k for an interval. Although I do reccomend sticking with the oil for the at least 5k before the first change. Supposedly there are addatives in the oil that help to break in your new motor.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

side note, the reason synthetic oils are out there is because it doesnt break down as easily so having that in your engine will give you that 5000+ miles per oil change, but ultimately changing your oil should be decided by your style of driving, if you go full throttle all the time well..... its not the best idea to wait every 5000 miles, but you shouldnt run an engine hard if its new, and for what i know you shouldnt look at running synthetic until later down the road anyways

Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 AM

Well I dont floor it at every stop light i approach but I do drive (and enjoy it while doing it). So I guess holding out to 5000 miles isnt too bad then.
Another question: What oil should I use for the oil changes. I dont plan on going to the dealership everytime, gets a little to expensive.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 AM

I use castrol gtx 5w30, other people might have a better oil in mind, but you might want to consider taking car to have its oil changed unless you know of someone who can legally dispose of the oil to my knowledge it would cost you more to go somewhere to dispose of it then it would cost for an oil change at like, jiffy lube, tuffy, or the dealership

Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 AM

Around here we can dispose the oil and any autopart store like autozone, kregan, or pepboys without a charge. So the oil disposal isnt a big issue. Im sure the first or second time I will be going to the dealership, but i do plan on doing my own oil. Afterall I dont trust everyone that works on the car. It only takes one idiot to mess it all up. A past experience when i took my car in for an oil change at the dealership, I recieved my car back with on oil in there.(thank god i checked) And im sure any other girl would do such a thing as check the oil.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:42 AM

yeah, i know your feeling about not trusting anyone, when i changed my oil a month ago the sob's at the dealership crimped the oil filter....... i wasnt amused cause i was a year and 6000 miles into the oil change

Old 01-30-2006, 04:46 AM

lol. sorry i had too. But hey you caught it right....[&:]

Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 AM

lol yeah, but that was 6 months and 3000 miles too late in my opinion ^_-

Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 AM

your serious about taking care of your car......thats really refreshing.. and there is no reason why you should ever need to take it into the dealership except for a major service. oil changes are easy... and should definately be done every 2500-4000 miles. for the first 8-10 thousand use the oil they sell in the parts department at your sealership, then you should switch to mobil 1 and use a honda filter or (surprisingly enough) a supertech filter that they sell at wal mart.

Quick Reply: Oil change?