General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Change interval for 07 2.4I VTEC Accord

Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Default Oil Change interval for 07 2.4I VTEC Accord

I'm a new accord owner 2.4 ivtec 07.
Silver with lip spolier.
I love the car.
I'm used to changing my oil every 5000 kms.
But according to Honda I must follow the maintenance minder.
I generally drive highway here in Toronto, Can.
With about 4700kms on the car so far and the oil oefficiency down to 60%.
It doesn't look like i will be changing the oil til at least 10,000kms.
Is this really OK. Normally I would've changed the oil on my last car (1994 Ford probe GT) at least twice.

So my question is I know the accord is a pretty low maintenence car, should I follow the maintenence minder
or change it sooner. they do say to keep that breakin oil as long as you can.
Anyway any comments welcome.

JPl

Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Default RE: Oil Change interval for 07 2.4I VTEC Accord

In the US we generally try to change the oil every 3000 miles (4,828.032 kilometers - thanks onlineconversion.com.) What does your Honda Owner's Manual say? I didn't think the "maintenance required" light/indicator came on till about 7,500 miles in my car. I would have needed to change the oil at least twice. My advice would be to stay on the safe side, change it as often as is recommended in the owner's manual or every 3000 miles/4,828km.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would follow the maintenance minder. Anything else is a waste of time and money, IMO.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm going to throw in a third suggestion.... if you're driving dusty roads etc I'd change it more often, driving around town more I'd do it more often... but if most of your driving is highway/freeway/autobahn then you may be able to get away with 7500 miles, I'd ask your oil change guy what he thinks of the quality of your oil and adjust your interval as needed.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM

the service interval on my M3 is based upon gallons of gas used. Avg consumption results in about 15k miles between oil services. I change mine in half that.

I am not sure what Honda uses.

Still I would agree that if you drive in dusty or challenging conditions, like a college town with many foreign students who have never driven before, that you change it more often.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:13 PM
ranck
Unregistered

Yes, changing when the service indicator says to change will be fine. Really. The computer takes into account number of cold starts, miles, and other information to calculate how long the oil should last. That's way more accurate that just blindly changing every 3,000 miles/5,000 kilometers. The 3K mile thing is highly pushed by people who sell oil and oil changes. I've been using a 5,000 mile interval for the past 20 years on all my cars. No problems. The 3 that I owned from new never used oil between changes, and 2 of those I had until well past 100,000 miles. Now with my '06 Accord with the service indicator, the first oil change occured at slightly more than 5000 miles, and subsquent changes have been averaging about 5500 to 6500 miles between. I do a good bit of short trip driving, with a few long trips thrown in occasionally. I think with synthetic oil you have no cause to be concerned about the apparently long interval.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ranck

Yes, changing when the service indicator says to change will be fine. Really. The computer takes into account number of cold starts, miles, and other information to calculate how long the oil should last. That's way more accurate that just blindly changing every 3,000 miles/5,000 kilometers. The 3K mile thing is highly pushed by people who sell oil and oil changes. I've been using a 5,000 mile interval for the past 20 years on all my cars. No problems. The 3 that I owned from new never used oil between changes, and 2 of those I had until well past 100,000 miles. Now with my '06 Accord with the service indicator, the first oil change occured at slightly more than 5000 miles, and subsquent changes have been averaging about 5500 to 6500 miles between. I do a good bit of short trip driving, with a few long trips thrown in occasionally. I think with synthetic oil you have no cause to be concerned about the apparently long interval.
Agreed.....Use the maintenance minder. The 3000 mile oil change is a die hard myth that just won't go away. True in the 60's, not today. Judging from many used oil analysis' on Bobistheoilguy the MM is on track with correct oil change times. If I had it I would use it without question with the exception of changing when 20% was showing +/- a little bit. It does NOT take synthetic oil into account on the readout so my statement is with dino oil. My opinion only.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I'll stick to the maintenance minder + or - 10%.
Never liked the accord for its styling but the more I look at it the more I like it. Weird.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 PM

it grows on you like a good rash...i didnt like it either when it was redesigned for 05 (well, made over more like). i own one as well

Old 11-12-2007, 05:00 AM
hondabob
Unregistered

The maintenance minder system is new to me as well. I just picked up a new '08 Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4L 5 spd auto. It's a really nice car!

I've always gone at least 5,000 miles between oil changes, but I'm also a synthetic oil guy. I plan on using the maintenance minder for my early oil changes (while I'm learning my vehicle) but will eventually complement that with oil analysis. I want to see if extended oil change intervals are possible (safely) with synthetic oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change interval for 07 2.4I VTEC Accord