General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Intervals 2006 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Default Oil Change Intervals 2006 Accord

I just purchased a 2006 Accord 4cyl w/ automatic trans. This is the first Honda I have owned and like it so far. I drive approx 800 miles per week and want to set up a maintanance schedule for myself. As you all are aware Honda does not have reccomended service intervals, just a light that comes on with the service that is needed. THIS IS GOING TO DRIVE ME NUTS!

First off: I have owned the car for 1 week now and it has 900 miles. Normally I would change the oil now due to engine break in. The dealer told me "Not to change the oil for a while" because Honda puts an additive in the intial oil fill. WHAT THE HELL DOES A WHILE MEAN?

Second question: Since I am sure that the oil change interval is at least 7500 miles I am considering using synthetic oil. I have no experience with synthetics and wondered if there was a down side to using them. (except price) Should I use a different type of filter?

Third : Is there a published maintenence schedule so I can plan out the service needed?

I usually perform my own services and do them regularly. My last 3 cars have been Fords and have gotten 250,000 miles before getting rid of them. I want to do the same with this one.

Thanks for everyones help and input.
Mark

Old 11-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Default RE: Oil Change Intervals 2006 Accord

Well it took a little help from another person but if you go to the Honda website you can log in and enter your specific VIN # and the sevice intevals are available as well as alot of other cool stuff.
Here is the link to the site.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp

Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Honda wants you to go at least 5000 miles with the factory fill. Keep your eye on the dipstick, this is one of the (few) times the car may use oil.

I changed mine over to Mobil 1 around 3500 miles, couldn't stand leaving the original oil in so long. I change oil & filter @ about 7500-8000 miles (my choice, the oil will go farther) and haven't needed to add oil since the break in period. Used about 3/4 of a quart during break in.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM

RTexasF:
Why is everyone reccomending MOBIL 1?
What about the others ie CASTRO etc?

Also I have heard of people adding an ounce or two of VSOT to their oil at every change.
Do you know anything about this and is there any benefit?

One more question. When I change my Tranny fluid ( I plan on doing it every 25,000) should I switch to syntetic or stay with the reccomended fluid.
THANKS

Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 PM

There are only a few TRUE synthetics: Mobil 1 , some Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and a few others. Nothing wrong with Castrol but it is a synthetic due to a loophole in the law. Why pay the same price as a full synth when it is actually a group lll oil?

I prefer M1 because it is available everywhere and cheaper in the jugs at Wal-Mart, etc. everyone will argue that the brand they use is the best, of course. I go by what works for me, price, and availability, simple as that.

As for the tranny stick with Honda's fluid.

VSOT is good but can thicken the viscosity out of grade so I don't use it.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM
ItsaHonda
Unregistered

RTexasF, my 2006 2.4 Accord is nearing 2,000 miles. I was also told by the dealer to leave it in until 5,000 miles. I'll follow their recomendation I suppose, on top of checking the oil level as you recommend. Now, for the automatic trans... does it carry break in fluid also that should be changed soon as well? Otherwise, I plan on changing it every 30,000 miles as I did with my 96 Accord. I replaced my oil (Mobil1 synth.) every 5k miles and air filters every other oil change @ 10k miles. I plan to do the same with the 06, since it's the only way I know and it kept my 96 running strong for 170,000 miles. I'm sure the maint. minder system is a lot easier than I'm making it out to be... but I just feel more comfortable sticking with what I know. It keeps things uniform.

Another question, since the K24 uses a chain... what exactly are we to do about replacing water pumps, seals, etc. now? Is the balance shaft driven by a chain now or still run by a belt>?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 AM

I think every 30K for the trans fluid is a smart move, no special break in fluid. If I had a Honda automatic I would make the first change @ 20K then every 30 thereafter.
If you're going to change oil & filter every 5000 miles M1 is a waste of money. Go with Havoline or Chevron 5W20 and maintain the 5K interval. Motorcraft 5W20 synth blend is another excellent product. I just read a used oil analysis from a 300,000 mile Pontiac GP that had Havoline changes every 5K. The UOA was excellent.

As far as water pump, etc. I really don't know. I'll cross that bridge in a few years.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

change oil and filter every 3-3.5k miles since u drive 800-900 a week i would reccomend once a month........if u live in a winter cooooooold climate use 5-20 if warm climate use 10-30..............

Old 12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
destro
Unregistered

haha

I sometimes forget that many of you are from the US. I'm from Canada so "we" talk about driving distances in Kilometers rather then Miles. No big deal. I had the same question about either using standard oil or synthetic. The dealer told me that these cars are built and design to run on regular. Synthetic is true to be better and longer lasting for your engine but you have you to remember that the oil filter is only good for a period of time. By driving longer while using synthetic may not be beneficial. Any comments?

Furthermore, the dealer had also mentioned that once you go synthetic, you can not go back to standard oil... is this true?

Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 AM
iove
Unregistered

Dealer told me same thing. Don't change until 3500 miles or so because of the special additive. I changed it at 2000 miles. I doubt that the intial oil is as good as the 5w-20 mobil 1 I put in. Also put in the purolator one oil filter as well!

Also, if you drive 800 miles and it's mostly highway speeds then use the extended drain interval as specified by Honda. As for me, I intend to keep the oil in there a year with an oil filter change at 6 months. I've done the oil analysis thing last year on another car and even after a year, it's okay to keep driving..so says Blackstone...

Quick Reply: Oil Change Intervals 2006 Accord