General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil filter

I've used Fram oil filters for 30 years in all my cars/trucks.....what is your opinion for using them in my Honda's??

Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil filter

I say use honda or a larger a/c delco that fits

Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 AM

I use Fram on all my cars. Why you ask? I have absolutly no idea. Your advertising is pretty good when your customers don't know why they buy your product.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Treaddirt

I've used Fram oil filters for 30 years in all my cars/trucks.....what is your opinion for using them in my Honda's??

keep using them.........as long as you replace them with every oil change..

Old 06-06-2006, 01:15 AM

yea fram are fine. i use the tough guards when im too lazy to run up to the dealership

Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM

I'm gonna stir the pot on this one........

Some Honda filters are made by Fram, some are not (Filtech are not). After many decades of using the Fram brand I now steer clear. Over the years the bean counters got into the mix and the construction of the filters has been severely cheapened to the point where they are the most poorly constructed filters on the market. Will they cause some catastrophic engine failure? No, of course not, but there are better oil filters available for equal or less money. Purolator, Wix, Hastings,(and others) are good choices. The sleeper is Wal-Mart's SuperTech filters. They are superior to Fram's shoddy construction and very inexpensive. PepBoys house brand is made for them by Purolator.......another good choice.

Go here and draw your own conclusions:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

You'll not find an orange can on any of my cars. Some of the more expensive Fram's are okay but cost too much for what you get.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I'll have to go with RTexasF on this one....not that I want to start a violent oil thread...but I have also heard the same of FRAM oil filters, almost every thread or piece of information that I've read has stated that the Fram oil filters have gone down hill. And the upper grade Fram filters are good, but like stated they are too expensive for what you get. I use only AC Delco or Napa Gold on my truck and after reading the info from this website I'm going with Napa Gold or Honda filters for my Accord. I have a Purlator on there now because that is all that Advance Auto had when I needed one, which I guess is better then Fram.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM

your right frams are the worst out there. but.......people always ask me what is the best oil to use in their car. the best oil is the kind that you change. filters are the same way. you leave a honda filter in there for 7 or ten thousand miles and its going to blow that safety plug thats inside it and let unfiltered oil pass around in the motor.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Everyone, thanks for the information. RTexasF, thank you for the web site with some great information. I am now seriously going to shop around for a better filter choice for all my cars (four hondas and one jeep). Thanks to all for the replys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 PM

Mobil 1 is probably the best filter made today. I believe they are made by Champion or Purolator. Napa Gold made by Wix is also a good filter. The higher cost Purolator is also a good filter.

Many people think full flow oil filters filter all of the oil, but not so. The by-pass valve in the filter opens when the oil is cold, the filter is plugged to a certain level, and around 60 MPH as I remember from the tests that I have seen. Personally, I will never let a filter stay on my engine for 7,500 miles and it is insane to go 15,000 miles or even 25,000 miles as recommended by one synthetic oil distributor. I believe in the old Fram saying of "pay me now or pay me later". I used Fram filters when they were a good filter, but they as well as their higher priced filters are now bad products (from the tests that I have read about).

Quick Reply: Oil filter