General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil filter wrench for Honda filter

Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Default Oil filter wrench for Honda filter

Hi,

I had purchased a universal oil wrench with a rubber belt. This partially worked but also ended up slightly denting the oil filter. Also purchased a socket type wrench but it is just a little too large.

Can anyone recommend an oil filter wrench that will work on an Honda oil filter?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Denting the filter? That's the filter you're gonna throw away anyway?? I've got a wrench that kinda looks like a channel-lock pliers with big round jaws. Sure it dents the filter.

Put the new one on by hand to avoid over-tightening it.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Hi,

Yes it's the old filter that I'm attempting to remove. This wrench has a plastic handle with a rubber strap. It only dented it very slightly but unfortunately I was unable to remove the filter. I checked with the dealer and was told they don't carry tools. I saw a filter wrench that has 3 claws that grips the bottom of the filter. I don't know if it will work or not. I wanted people's experience with what works. I'll look for this plier type wrench you mentioned.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM

I use the small metal band type filter wrench. I tried the rubber type before, and they don't work as well as the metal. The channel -lock type mentioned above sounds like it would work well also. The reason you are having a hard time, is probably because the filter was installed too tight. If the filter had been installed hand tight, it wouldn't be that hard to remove, so remember that when you do install a new one.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can't remember where I bought that one. I don't find it at AutoZone or HarborFreight online.

My other 5 wrenches don't go small enough when Honda switched to the current smaller filter. These days everyone went to small filters, so that 3-claw one will probably go small enough.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Though I doubt you'll find one in stock, the Honda dealer can order a filter "kit" for your car that consists of the correct filter and a filter socket. Usually just a couple bucks more than the filter alone.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM

You can punch a screwdriver into the old filter and wrench it off that way if needed.Someone put the old filter on tooooo tight,or it has been on there way too long.

Also,You do not need a wrench to install one.Put it on by hand and make it tight by hand..just be sure to put a little oil on the seal.

You can also buy oil filter tools that are hard plastic and fit around the bottom of the filter and use a 3/8 ratchet to take off.I have 4 sizes of them in my garage so I can do just about any car.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I buy the Fram filters with the black road guard stuff and you don’t need a filet wrench. I have a socket for the Honda Filter I got from one of the parts stores and the metal strap wrench which I got from Snap-on in the nineties. I am wonder after seeing how well the stuff on the Fram filter works to be able to grip. How wrapping the old filter with a sheet of emery paper would work. The three jaws will do the job but will be messy.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 96FiveSpeed
You can punch a screwdriver into the old filter and wrench it off that way if needed.Someone put the old filter on tooooo tight,or it has been on there way too long.

Also,You do not need a wrench to install one.Put it on by hand and make it tight by hand..just be sure to put a little oil on the seal.

You can also buy oil filter tools that are hard plastic and fit around the bottom of the filter and use a 3/8 ratchet to take off.I have 4 sizes of them in my garage so I can do just about any car.
Ya thats exactly what I had to do the morons at walmart put that filter on hella tight. i just took the longest flathead in my toolbox and hammer that sucker all the way threw the filter perpindicular to it. BEWARE OF OIL SQUIRTS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT> but it definatley works!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Almost A Senior Member

K&N makes a high quality filter (although you will pay for it.) What I like is they have a 1 in. nut setup on the end, you can get them off with a regular 1 in. socket. The easiest out there. I'm shocked everyone doesn't have it. If you check "oil filter ratings" on various web sites Fram actually isn't very well liked. Their regular 3.00 orange one isn't anyways. I've gotten away from Fram also on the advice of a few mechanics over the years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter wrench for Honda filter