General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil found in Spark Plug Holes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Default Oil found in Spark Plug Holes

I was checking my spark plugs today and when I pulled the plug wire off, I found that the spark plug was almost completely submerged in oil. I pulled out the plugs and checked them all and they looked ok so I put them back in. I then proceeded to run the car. When I started the car it smoked like a***** for about 2 min.......WOO HOO!!! No more bugs after that! Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows where the oil is coming from. Please don't say the head gasket is gone. I think the valve cover gasket was replaced already but not sure.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: Oil found in Spark Plug Holes

go to our DIY section and read the Oil in spark plug tubes, there is a full writeup on what it is and how to fix it.... just a few simple O-rings...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks....I had a feeling I was posting in the wrong place.....I tried to do a search on oil in the tubes but the search returned nothing.......Thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 PM

No problem.... at least it isn't a major issue! Let us know if you can't locate the post for some reason....

Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks...I fixed that leak but I think there is still one more leak. It looks like there is oil seeping from the oil pan gasket. I've washed down the engine a number of times now and i'm still finding oil dripping off the bottom of the oil pan. I cant see any oil running down the engine anywhere and it does look a little wet around the pan gasket. Is there any way I can repair this leak without having to remove the exhaust etc?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have found the pan bolts loose and one bolt missing on Accords on two occasions. Tightening to spec seem to help.

good luck

Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks....I checked the pan and all the bolts are there but I'll snug em up a little if they need it. I really dont want to have to take the pan off. It looks to be a pretty big job and my exhaust is pretty rusty so I dont want to disturb it and then end up having to replace it all at the same time. I probably should replace it but if it aint broke I aint fixin it!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I second tightening the oil pan bolts. On my 94 Accord once I had oil dripping off the bottom, and tightening the oil pan bolts stopped it.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM

tried tightening the pan bolts but I think my oil pan is rusted through!!! It's still leaking and it looks like it's coming from the bottom of the pan directly above the 2 exhaust pipes that come down from the manifold. Can I change the oil pan without dismantling the exhaust? Can I just slip it out of there? I can access all the bolts without moving the exhaust.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

,, you need to remove the frt pipe to remove the oil pan .get a torch and heat up the exh bolts/nuts before you remove them .. this way they won;t brake

Quick Reply: Oil found in Spark Plug Holes