Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day).. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/oil-leak-about-2-3-quarts-day-44775/)

mschrisb 01-02-2012 03:30 PM

oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day)..

I have a 91 Honda accord w/ 130 k miles. Leaks oil, had a mechanic look at it said there was a screw that was tightened to tight in the seams of the head. No smoke coming from the tail pipe. As long as there is oil is in the car it runs great... Is this something that sounds like it could be repaired ? Where would a screw be to cause such a large leakage daily? Remember 2-3 quarts a day.. Help!!!

accordhybridowner 01-02-2012 04:10 PM

Leaking 2-3 quarts a day would certainly make me panic. When 3 quarts has leaked out, your engine won't have enough oil and might get damaged and leave you stranded on the road... I would take it to a shop immediately to have it taken care of for good.

PAhonda 01-02-2012 08:02 PM

Where is the leak on the engine block? front/back and drivers/passenger's side will help give you items to check out.

deserthonda 01-02-2012 09:29 PM

GET AWAY from this guy ASAP he does not have a clue ...........
like PA asked,, where is the leak at??
go to a shop that specializes on Hondas,,,,,a leak like that almost sounds like a balancer shaft seal issue ,, But have it looked at and properly diagnosed ASAP

mschrisb 01-03-2012 03:36 AM

91 honda accord 2-3 quarts a day leak

The leak is coming from the middle, closer to the front and near the driver side of the car....

crispin 01-03-2012 07:52 AM

Please do not drive this car anymore until fixed, you are hurting the environment badly by dumping that much oil.

PAhonda 01-03-2012 11:34 AM

Is it coming from under the plastic cover on the driver's side of the engine? The plastic cover I am talking about is between the engine block and the two belts you can see in the engine bay.

mschrisb 01-03-2012 12:05 PM

oil leak 2-3 quarts

Mechanic states oil leaking from back head gasket hope I'm saying this right.

redbull-1 01-03-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda (Post 265538)
GET AWAY from this guy ASAP he does not have a clue ...........
like PA asked,, where is the leak at??
go to a shop that specializes on Hondas,,,,,a leak like that almost sounds like a balancer shaft seal issue ,, But have it looked at and properly diagnosed ASAP

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 265573)
Is it coming from under the plastic cover on the driver's side of the engine? The plastic cover I am talking about is between the engine block and the two belts you can see in the engine bay.

Originally Posted by mschrisb (Post 265576)
Mechanic states oil leaking from back head gasket hope I'm saying this right.

deserthonda is referring to this mechanic as having no clue...

That much oil leaking usually is the balancer shaft seal. PAhonda question is very relevant at this point.

redbull-1 01-03-2012 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached image, shows the area where the balancer shaft seal is, when the plastic cover is removed.