General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day)..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Default oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day)..

I have a 91 Honda accord w/ 130 k miles. Leaks oil, had a mechanic look at it said there was a screw that was tightened to tight in the seams of the head. No smoke coming from the tail pipe. As long as there is oil is in the car it runs great... Is this something that sounds like it could be repaired ? Where would a screw be to cause such a large leakage daily? Remember 2-3 quarts a day.. Help!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Leaking 2-3 quarts a day would certainly make me panic. When 3 quarts has leaked out, your engine won't have enough oil and might get damaged and leave you stranded on the road... I would take it to a shop immediately to have it taken care of for good.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Where is the leak on the engine block? front/back and drivers/passenger's side will help give you items to check out.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

GET AWAY from this guy ASAP he does not have a clue ...........
like PA asked,, where is the leak at??
go to a shop that specializes on Hondas,,,,,a leak like that almost sounds like a balancer shaft seal issue ,, But have it looked at and properly diagnosed ASAP

Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Default 91 honda accord 2-3 quarts a day leak

The leak is coming from the middle, closer to the front and near the driver side of the car....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Please do not drive this car anymore until fixed, you are hurting the environment badly by dumping that much oil.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Is it coming from under the plastic cover on the driver's side of the engine? The plastic cover I am talking about is between the engine block and the two belts you can see in the engine bay.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Default oil leak 2-3 quarts

Mechanic states oil leaking from back head gasket hope I'm saying this right.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deserthonda
GET AWAY from this guy ASAP he does not have a clue ...........
like PA asked,, where is the leak at??
go to a shop that specializes on Hondas,,,,,a leak like that almost sounds like a balancer shaft seal issue ,, But have it looked at and properly diagnosed ASAP
Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is it coming from under the plastic cover on the driver's side of the engine? The plastic cover I am talking about is between the engine block and the two belts you can see in the engine bay.
Originally Posted by mschrisb
Mechanic states oil leaking from back head gasket hope I'm saying this right.
deserthonda is referring to this mechanic as having no clue...

That much oil leaking usually is the balancer shaft seal. PAhonda question is very relevant at this point.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

The attached image, shows the area where the balancer shaft seal is, when the plastic cover is removed.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day)..-balancer-shaft-seal-area.jpg  

Quick Reply: oil leak (about 2-3 quarts a day)..