General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil leak after trans rebuilt/ water pump timing belt replaced...vibrate under hood .

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just to be clear, we're talking about the valve cover, the top part in the pic, right?

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak after trans rebuilt/ water pump timing belt replaced...vibrate under hood .-sp-tube-seals.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the top part is the valve cover. Right across the middle, it says "16 valve" in the picture. Well, yours might say VTEC.

In fact, if the "F23A1" in your signature is correct, that IS a VTEC engine.

The VTEC spool valve is between the valvecover and the intake manifold, more towards the right-side of the car. (towards your left if you're standing in front of the bumper) The VTEC spool valve has a triangle flange with 3 bolts. It might be leaking where it's bolted against the head??

Also... in that picture, on the end of the valvecover, you can see the arched structure that looks like it fits over a pulley. That lip captures the plastic upper-timing-cover. So that's why the valve cover has to be removed in order to do the timing belt. At least it has to be unbolted and lifted 1/2-inch or so.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was asking the OP...

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

OOpss...
sorry about that.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the below Poorman. I'll let you know how it turns out. Your response was very, very helpful.

The owner insisted that they only unbolted 2 bolts ( drivers side of the valve cover to replace the upper timing belt)
I said that seems a little unconventional and asked how they assured that the cam shaft was aligned to TDC for cyl #1. He really did not know what to say and was sort of surprised...then he said he would work with me on the price. He added that the distributor ( left of valve cover if you are looking at the engine) could possibly be leaking and he could not tell from just looking under the hood. I told him just to replace the valve cover gasket nothing else wihtout talking to me and that I thought this work should have been done when the upper timing belt was replaced.

(The valve cover goes "over" the upper timing belt cover on this generation Accord. On the drivers side of the car, towards the drivers side wheel, the valve cover fits over the upper timing belt cover.....black plastic cover on that side if the engine. So again, to do the timing belt the valve cover had to come off......if not then ask how they assured that the cam shaft was aligned to TDC for cyl #1 when they changed the timing belt?)
The engine mount that was replaced was the front mount. The car is still vibrating a bit..the steering wheel. I can't tell if anything under the hood is vibrating out of gear until I have an "assistant". Otherwise the car seems to be running pretty well.

Ha this is turning out to be money pit, but I still just love the car.
I know the next thing I will need to do is the catalytic converter./inspection in a few months...and shocks...if I chose to ...spending more than planned for my second run around week day car.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM

Yes. Thanks. To confirm I am talking about the valve cover no vtec- 4 cyl .

Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I hope we were able to help in some way.

I might have jumped to some conclusions......If you can help us with "where" the oil leak is we might be able to help more? If a new gasket does not stop it.

The owner is correct, there is an o-ring on the distributor -left side of the engine as you look at it from under the hood - that could be leaking.

My personal opinion, the 97 (any 5th generation 94-97) Accord is a very....very solid car. Yes they all have their things but are really well built cars and a bit of tlc and they will go a long way.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Default Hey...waived the labor...they said...

Hi again!
Thanks for your insight. I did bring my honda back to the shop see posting 3--27-13...and they gave me a little push back and then i basically quoted what you said below about changing the gasket when the tming belt/water pump was replaced ect...see posting 3--27-13. They grinned and said no charge for the labor and charged minimal with a 10% discount on parts...acknowledging the should have replaced the valve gasket cover when the timing belt work was done....i am glad i had faith in them and glad that you told me what to say otherwise i would have paid for the labor. Best thing is i feel like i actually stood up and did not just shell out the cash.
Another shop replaced the starter in jan 11 and by august 2011 the starter died and they woudl not honor the original work in any way and i had to shell out the money again and it was expensive...last time i went to that shop and have been going there for years. The owner just ignored me when i said you just replaced the starter in jan this year. Sad thing is he was so reputable for many years but now he is way past retirement age like 70's and i do not think he cares anymore. Hois main mechanic passed away and now he hires new freshout of school mechanics - different one almost every other day.
Anyway..thanks for all the advice!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for coming back with an answer, really "thanks" as many never do ....I hope the leak has stopped?

Again, if it was/is a customers car I would tell them that the gasket has to be replaced so there wouldn't be a "come back". I re-use the gasket on mine every now and then, if I can remember about how old it is. When doing so I know the risk, it is my time and my money.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 PM

could have bought 2 more 97s for the amount of money you spent. I would just get a new kia bro srs.

Quick Reply: Oil leak after trans rebuilt/ water pump timing belt replaced...vibrate under hood .