General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil leak at Spark Plugs after 3 Value Cover replacements

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
tiberius
Unregistered
Default Oil leak at Spark Plugs after 3 Value Cover replacements

Folks,

I have '94 2.2 Accord. It has 136k on it. Runs fine no problems.

However, I keep getting oil at the spark plugs, I see this only on the wires and around the plug if look down the where the plug is. I've to my local mechanic has changed the value cover gasket 3 times and it keeps happening, the last was 4 days ago and I have only driven it max of 40 miles. The last time he changed the PCV value as well, perhaps thiking there is too much compression. The oil doesn't seem like a great amount but enough for me to worry about. This only on the first 2 spark plugs (from right).

Is there something my mechanic is not doing ? I have read that there saprk plug seals as well. I'm not sure if he is changing these are not.

Can anyone provide me with what exactly needs to be done ? Is it a big job ?

I have water pump and timing belt replaced but no head gasket ( i think).

Cheers

Tiberius

Old 10-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil leak at Spark Plugs after 3 Value Cover replacements

ORIGINAL: tiberius

Folks,

I have '94 2.2 Accord. It has 136k on it. Runs fine no problems.

However, I keep getting oil at the spark plugs, I see this only on the wires and around the plug if look down the where the plug is. I've to my local mechanic has changed the value cover gasket 3 times and it keeps happening, the last was 4 days ago and I have only driven it max of 40 miles. The last time he changed the PCV value as well, perhaps thiking there is too much compression. The oil doesn't seem like a great amount but enough for me to worry about. This only on the first 2 spark plugs (from right).

Is there something my mechanic is not doing ? I have read that there saprk plug seals as well. I'm not sure if he is changing these are not.

Can anyone provide me with what exactly needs to be done ? Is it a big job ?

I have water pump and timing belt replaced but no head gasket ( i think).

Cheers

Tiberius
sounds like this mechanic does not know his way around Hondas ,,

go to our DIY section there is a post on ( OIL IN SPARK PLUG WIRES.. ) either you do it or print it and take it to the mechanic,, better yet i would find a different mechanic that knows its way around Honda a bit better
if you plan on doing it and have question we will be here to help you out
Oh and by the way WELCOME to HAF. .

Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 AM

This is something that I let my honda dealer do when I was in St Louis (Huey Honda) while they were doing a valve adjustment. pretty cheap too about $130..............including the valve adjustment

Old 10-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Staged206K
Unregistered

Like DesertHonda said.................you need new spark plug tube seals............

Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Score one for the home team!!! *L* I can't imagine the amount of fury that desert must feel when he hear's that people who know nothing are still in business making money doing the same thing he is.... A fricken hair dresser has to go to a 9 month school just to cut hair but you can "fix" someone's brakes without any training at all and get paid for it.... that's fricken dumb (((END RANT)))

Old 10-13-2006, 10:55 PM

As far as spark plug seals - oil does not leak from the spark plugs.

Some valve cover seals do not seal as well as others. The Honda seal is the best. There may be a slight scratch on the head mating surface or the cover may be slightly distorted, (it is easy to over-torque the cover and difficult to re-align it). Covers must be torqued in sequence and only in inch-pounds

A qualified mechanic knows how to check alignment and form for a proper seal.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

It's not always about sealing properly. If a new valve cover gasket set doesn't fix it, you have to look elsewhere. There's another set of seals farther down in the spark plug tubes, #19 in this picture. Maybe he didn't look at those? You have to remove the cam caps to get at those seals, so your mechanic better read up on the bolt tightening sequence & torques.

Better yet, find a mechanic who knows Hondas.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Alekat

As far as spark plug seals - oil does not leak from the spark plugs.

Some valve cover seals do not seal as well as others. The Honda seal is the best. There may be a slight scratch on the head mating surface or the cover may be slightly distorted, (it is easy to over-torque the cover and difficult to re-align it). Covers must be torqued in sequence and only in inch-pounds

A qualified mechanic knows how to check alignment and form for a proper seal.

the problem is not the valve cover seal,,,,,,,,,,if it leaks it will not let oil in the plug tubes.....it is either the upper spark plug tube seals located in the underneath of the valve cover or the lower rocker arm seals

and as for torquing the valve cover nuts , there is absolutely no need for that , i must have installed thousands of them and i have never torqued one and have not had any issues ,, all you do it hand tightem the nuts ,,,use a rachet, extension and 10mm socket
and you DO NOT need a qualified mechanic to replace the valve cover gasket it is one of the easiest things to do

Old 10-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

the problem is not the valve cover seal,,,,,,,,,,if it leaks it will not let oil in the plug tubes.....it is either the upper spark plug tube seals located in the underneath of the valve cover or the lower rocker arm seals
I usually think of the valve cover gasket SET as including those upper seals. It just seems silly to replace the outer VC gasket & re-use those upper tube seals. Sorry if that was misleading.