General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leaking at distributor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Default oil leaking at distributor

Accord 97 DX: want to replace the O-ring where engine oil leaks from the distributor. I have a question: do I have to bring the piston to #1 TDC position before I take out the distributor? I cannot see any necessery to do this since I just want to change the O-ring and don't want to change any timing of the distributor. Please let me know if it has to be done or not. Hope to get rid of opening and sealing of the cylinder cover.

Thanks,

Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: oil leaking at distributor

Not necessary. It's good to mark the distributor frame where in meets the cylinder head mount w/ a dark mark so you can return timing to same setting. Aligning the distributor is not always easy as the key and key slot are only slightly asymmetric. Recognizing the large and small ends has always been challenging. If you have any difficulty installing, you probably have key off by 180 degrees.

good luck

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM

dont forget there are two o-rings you have to replace. 1.the inner o-ring ( you have to take a part the whole distributor for this one)and2. outer o- ring

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Inner & outer seal depends on WHERE it's leaking. If the oil leaks from inside the distributor, dripping out from the distributor cap, then worry about the inner seal. Otherwise, just do the external O-ring.

Another thing to consider, if you can clean it up& check carefully. The hole for the distributor is formed by the head and the last cam cap. The split line where the cam cap bolts down to the head can also leak. If that's it, you take off the last cam cap & re-seal it with HondaBond. (But first look up the tightening torque for that.)

Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 AM
htgmc
Unregistered

On the same note. I have a oil leak that comes into my distributor and drips out of my cap. I have been unsuccessful in finding a oring for the inside of it. Any idea were I may find one.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

I've never found the inner seal. Honda's official story is that you'll have to replace the distributor.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I've never found the inner seal. Honda's official story is that you'll have to replace the distributor.
yep.. I cannot believe to this day that Honda won't supply that stupid little seal ( 2-3 dollars most ) but they make you replace the distributor if that inner seal leaks ,, What a joke ,, that is absurd ,,

Old 04-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

I found this link on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-ACURA-VIGO...QQcmdZViewItem

I would call this company to find out what is in this kit, if it will work on your car, and ask if they will sell you the seal by itself.

If you decide to take apart the distributor, you can not unscrew the three sensors from the casing. Guess how I know? You have to take off the key that goes into the crankshaft and slide the distributor shaft out towards where the dist. cap would be.

Let us know if they have the proper seals if you decide to go this route.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM
htgmc
Unregistered

Thanks for the input. I will call the bearing depot and see what there kit consist of.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 AM

Hi, I bought the inner oring from a local Honda dealer. It cost me $2 but they do have it in stock. my outer oring is still ok and there is no oil inside my distributor. The old inner oring is really bad and totally lost its elasticity.

Quick Reply: oil leaking at distributor