General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Light comes on and flashes randomly

Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Cool Oil Light comes on and flashes randomly

When driving down the road if i make a hard turn usually, the oil light will come on and blink. If i turn the car off and back on it goes away.. Sometimes when i make a hard turn it will come on and stay solid until i straighten the car out and then it doesnt come back on. What could be the cause?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is oil level good?

If oil level is OK, two possibilities.

First is easiest to fix. The oil pressure switch may be faulty causing it to intemittently close. You can replace the oil switch easily. It's on back side of engine near oil filter.

Second could be difficult. The oil pump inlet screen may be partially blocked and starving the oil pump. When oil rocks away from pickup momentarily, there may be a momentary loss of oil pressure. The oil switch only closes (if it's working correctly) at about 3 psi so would not take much loss of oil to cause light to come on.

You may want to consider having an oil pressure test by removing oil pressure switch and installing a test gauge. Idle should be at least 10 psi and 50 psi at 3K rpm.

good luck