General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Loss Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil Loss Question

Hello,

I was doing oil change on my Honda Accord EX, V6 '03, and notice the oil drain from the pan less than 1/2 amount I pour in last oil change. I checked the oil pan surround and everything look dry, as no sign of oil leak. Can you tell me is there a cause to the amount of oil loss in the engine? Where else can I inspect for oil leak beside checking for oil drip?

Thanks,

L
Honda Accord EX
V6, 2003

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

how many miles between changes? do you not check the oil regularly?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
how many miles between changes? do you not check the oil regularly?
Thanks for the response. I'm doing 8k-9k between change. I notice there a level drop at the dipstick at some point, but I thought it could be the oil not fully fill after engine ran.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

question: how do we know that only half the oil came out? are you measuring it? what is drained can be deceiving. i would check it every 2k-3k miles, or once a month between changes. just good practice.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
question: how do we know that only half the oil came out? are you measuring it? what is drained can be deceiving. i would check it every 2k-3k miles, or once a month between changes. just good practice.
I check the amount by drain the oil complete into pan and pour into one of the 5qt empty container that I used for previous oil change. The level in the container half amount I used.

Just a curious, why I'm losing that much oil from previous oil change?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

HALF of it gone? So you "lost" 2 quarts or so? On the dipstick, it's only 1 quart from the high to the low marks. So if you lose 2 quarts then you don't see any oil on the dipstick? If that's true you should have seen that on the dipstick a long time ago and added oil to bring it up within the acceptable range.

More likely, it seems like it didn't all drain out? Maybe the car wasn't very level when you drained it?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

oil change w/filter is 4.5 qts., so using up a couple qts. of oil in 8k or 9k miles is not excessive...best to always check it.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
HALF of it gone? So you "lost" 2 quarts or so? On the dipstick, it's only 1 quart from the high to the low marks. So if you lose 2 quarts then you don't see any oil on the dipstick? If that's true you should have seen that on the dipstick a long time ago and added oil to bring it up within the acceptable range.

More likely, it seems like it didn't all drain out? Maybe the car wasn't very level when you drained it?

I think so, compare to the oil level in the container. The odd part is, I still see the dipstick still collecting oil after reinsert. I did pour some new oil in and able to see it coming out clean. Usually, if I still have remain oil, I would see it coming out light brown right?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM

If you are going to go 8-9k miles, between oil changes, I would check the dipstick a few times in between. If the oil is still reaching the dipstick, I don't think you are losing 2 quarts. I have an 03 V6 myself, but I don't go farther than 5k miles between changes. I don't notice any drop at all between oil changes. What type of oil do you use? How many total miles on the engine?

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 10-22-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
If you are going to go 8-9k miles, between oil changes, I would check the dipstick a few times in between. If the oil is still reaching the dipstick, I don't think you are losing 2 quarts. I have an 03 V6 myself, but I don't go farther than 5k miles between changes. I don't notice any drop at all between oil changes. What type of oil do you use? How many total miles on the engine?
I normally used either Valvoline or Quaker. My engine currently at 170k miles

Quick Reply: Oil Loss Question