General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil, Oil, OIL! 91 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Default oil, Oil, OIL! 91 Accord

The problem is...
the middle spark plugs on my car are flooded.
It burns oil.
You know to put more in when the blue smoke stops coming out the pipe. (You check the stick at that point and it's about dry.)
It smells pretty awesome!

I was planning on rebuilding the headgaskets. That's about as far as I got. I would like to do a comlete tune up, but my car is a bit of a mess. I don't think the tune up would matter much with all this oil burnage. I have lots of things to do to my beasty 91 Accord...but I thought I should start under the hood. (Where it counts)
If anyone has any ideas, or if I'm completely off, please, say so!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Is there oil in the radiator? or coolant in the oil pan when you go to change your oil?

How many miles are on the engine?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is there oil in the radiator? or coolant in the oil pan when you go to change your oil?

How many miles are on the engine?
230,000 says the dash. My dad said either the engine or trans were new within the past 3 years. So I'm not sure how accurate that is?

Honestly...since I've had the car, I haven't changed the oil because it burns it all out within 6-8 one hour trips. I just top it off....I know that's terrible. But I've been without cash and the car gets me where I need to go as long as I do that.
I haven't seen any in the radiator or coolant pan, then again I haven't REALLY looked there. I suppose I should check that out? >_<
I know a few things...but not everything. I want to learn, but most people don't give me the time of day.
Thanks for your response.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

It has to be the head gasket, piston rings, cylinder head, or engine block.

If you are going to DIY, it will be cheaper to replace the engine with a used one.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Inspect the Air filter if it is covered in oil the rings are bad.