General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Default oil question

Hello guys and gals,
Iam new in this forum and this is my very first post.I have a question about oil for my 1997 honda accord EX-R V6. The question is that, how much oil should i fill when i empty all the old oil? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: oil question

it will say in the owners manual. look for "oil change capacity including filter"
or just keep pouring small amounts in till it looks OK on the dipstick.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM

thanks for the reply, but my car didnt have the manual when i bought it used lol. i will just follow what u told me about checking the dipstick and filling small amounts. thanks.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM

oil and filter replacement ,,, add about 4.6 qts

Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Just don't do what my best friend Bill's kid did. The kid was 16, and Bill told him to check the oil in his Sunfire, and add oil if needed. Sure enough it was low. So what does the kid do? Starts pouring in quart after quart until it was full - at the top of the valve cover where the Add Oil lid is! It was full alright!

The funny thing is, Bill owns a Goodyear service station. I guess car smarts isn't hereditary.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Heh... That reminds me of a story...

I had a friend - his wife had a Jetta with manual tranny. She got an oil change at a quickie place, & asked them to check the tranny oil & add if necessary. Just like Hondas, you open the fill plug & check to see whether the fluid is about to pour out of the fill hole. It was dry, so they added a quart. Still dry, they added another quart. Apparently that's where they gave up & handed her the keys.

Problem wasthe plug they opened was the hole in the bellhousing where you shine a timing light onto the flywheel. So they had just poured 2 quarts of gear oil onto her clutch.
[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 PM

LOL LOL LOL ......... I am sorry, i do not mean to make fun of those people but i think this is very very funny ,, i am still ROTFLMAO,,,

Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Thanks for that story Jim! Stories like that are why I try to diy as much as possible.

Funny story too lol

Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM

I really think that I need to start a storytime thread .... this is good stuff!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Thats funny, heres one from my job (advance auto parts) 2 guys riding in a 01 Accord V6 automatic. The guys walk in and ask me what to do, the transmission is slipping and the engine is making a grinding noise. My first thought was ask them to check the oil and the tranny fluid. After getting a deer in the headlight look from both of them I decided to walk out and do this myself and sure enough both dipsticks were bone dry. the car needed almost 4 quarts of oil, this they figured out how to do themselves, then they come back in freaking out because some dummy in the parking lot told them that they had to undo a bolt on the side of the transmision to add the fluid. SO I go BACK outside and show them and having to reassure them that you add the tranny fluid through the dipstick hole, the tranny needed 2 quarts....

Quick Reply: oil question