General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on Spark Plug Accord 95

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Smile Oil on Spark Plug Accord 95, now new problem

Hi Gurus, Please don't get angry to see the thread title as lots of thread are already here for this problem. let me tell you brief history and i have basic car knowledge. i have accord 95 EXI with F22B3 Engine, the car is in Australia. i pulled the spark plug lead and found lots of oil in lead 2 and bit of oil in 1 and 4 eventually i jumped to research and gather the tiny knowledge that valve cover gasket 4 spark plug seal should cure the problem and they are relatively easy to install. i was over the moon to read that but some more video dragged me to hell instead. ok, here are my questions below.

1. all the parts i find online is for F22B1 Engine. should these part (cover gasket and 4 seals) fit on F22B3 engine?

2. Is the job same as F22B1 ?

3. in some online video (hats off to those kind people) showing for this problem it needs to change 4 o -rings under rocker arm assembly, is it necessary?

4. Can any extremely kind hearted guru give me OEM part numbers for valve cover gasket and 4 spark plug seal part number please.

Thank you for your kind reply

Last edited by mortuzahasan; 08-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 AM

The cover seal will be different for the VTEC vs non VETC. The grommet spark plug seals should fit regardless but Honda has two part numbers 12342-PTO-000 for non VETC and 12342-RYE-000 for VETC. The process for replacement is the same regardless of VTEC or non VETC. It is cheaper to get the valve cover gasket kit as Honda will supply the valve cover seal, the spark plug seals and the valve cover bolt seals in the kit. All you will need is RTV for the corners and seems.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks for your info
Is it necessary to change bottom o-rings (underneath rocker arm assembly) for this sort of problem. also there is a clicking noise inside the engine, is it normal for honda engines? do i need a valve adjustment for that?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I've had this problem with my friends car and I replaced the valve cover gasket and it didn't fix the problem. So be prepared incase it doesn't work. I cant remember if it was the couple bolts near the cam or some where else under neither the valve cover. But we found a few important loose bolts that needed tightened and it fixed. <br />
<br />
If someone can remember which ones work loose. I would appreciate it. I can't remember it's been so long which ones caused that problem

Update^^ I believe it's the cam shaft bearing bolts that were loose. I'm not 100% but pretty sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It might just be a valve cover gasket but just be prepared incase that don't work

Last edited by jroxz44; 08-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Short term you can clean off the spark plugs and tubes and probably drive for a considerable distance before you have any problems. I still have the seals for the spark plug wells I bought several years ago lying around. I clean the wells and wipe off the spark plugs about every 15k miles. You get a big puff of blue smoke afterwards but then your good for another 15k miles. Im lazy I know..

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with the non-US accords. Your car may have only have the upper seals like my 95 EX accord in the US. You would have to check your parts store valve cover gasket kit to see if it comes with four lower seals. Or call your honda dealership parts department.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Thanks PA
may be different country uses different term for the same part. i called local Honda dealer and asked for 'valve cover gasket kit' , they were asking me again if it is 'Rocker Cover gasket Kit' and asked $106 for the kit.

is there any common names for these kit so that i can research online? i am not sure which called what, all i need is the big square gasket for the engine cover and four top and bottom spark plug seal. Thanks guys

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The Eric the Car Guy youtube video #wYU8qtPzQOY is good, and he explains that for non-VTEC engines like your F22B3 you can try changing just the top seals and if that doesn't fix the problem then change out the bottom seals.

USDM non-VTEC cars are LX or DX, so for instance on the RockAuto site click on "Valve Cover Gasket" and look for LX. Fel-Pro's part number is VS50365R.

Edit: Your car does require periodic valve adjustment. Replacing the spark plug tube seals is a good time to do that.

Last edited by Roader; 08-05-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

"Rocker cover" vs. "valve cover" is just a simple name change for the same thing.

But the difference is VTEC vs. non-VTEC engine, and I think in some countries there's DOHC engines in there somewhere. I don't know for F22B3 whether the lower seals exist or not. Later engines did not have the lower seals, for example F23A1.

If your engine has lower seals & you don't replace them, check for oil before too long. If you take it apart again within a few months, the VC gasket will probably still be flexible and will re-seal. If you wait a couple years it'll get hardened & then more likely will leak if you take it apart later.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 AM

Thanks Guys, i put my car on a Honda dealer to have valve adjustment. they will also put VC gaskets.

BTW, i have a new problem. Weather here is cold and car struggle to start. it cranks but RPM goes very down and shakes violently. i called an roadside assistance guy and he said battery is not good. i was thinking to change the battery. but we also found out all the radiator hoses are squeezed. he pulled off the cap and said cap has gone. i asked if i can put a new cap and he said a big 'no' . he was saying if i put a new cap without pressure test, whole thing might blow up. i did the radiator service myself couple of weeks ago. all the hoses are good and hoses ends are tight enough with clamps, changed thermostat gasket. radiator works fine with both the fan turns on and temp gauge is always normal.

Just wondering if i put a new cap what might go wrong? i cant do the pressure test atm as i'm in budget. please help my gurus!

Quick Reply: Oil on Spark Plug Accord 95