General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in spark plug tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Oil in spark plug tubes

I decided to check out the spark plugs b/c of my bad mpg. So I pull the car in the garage, and let it sit for our 15 minutes. Then I pop the hood and pull one spark plug wire out of the tube and when I do a few drips of oil come out. So I look down the tube and it is coated in oil, but it isnt pooled. So my dad and I tried getting the stupid plug out but we couldnt. What size is the plug? I have NGK double plats. Anyways, my dad thinks the valve cover gasket is swollen so we cant get a deep well socket down far enough.

So, I am wondering if replacing a valve cover gasket is somewhat of an easy job? It looked like there were basically 4 bolts. Or do we have to get the spark plugs out first? And its Sunday, so any idea of cost for letting Midas do it? Or, would the EPA warranty recall cover that for the 97 Accord?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil in spark plug tubes

The valve cover gasket and the upper spark plug tube seals are pretty easy to do. I don't know if you have an EX or LX/DX, but pay attention to the direction that the spark plug tube seals are installed. On the EX models you will be tempted to flip them over.

The spark plug tube seals are reinforced with metal, so you may need to take a small flat head screwdriver and push the edge to the middle to break the seal by lightly tapping with a hammer. Do not scratch the outside edge when trying this.

I think that your dad is wrong about the seal being swollen, because that seal is on the top of the tube against the valve cover. I don't see how that would prevent you from getting a socket on the spark plug. Plus the spark plugs do not need to be removed to change the gaskets.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply!
I have an LX, f22b2. So along with the valve cover gasket I also need 4 spark plug tube seals.
Well right about even w/ the top of the spark plug their is what looks like a circular gasket. Do you know what size of socket the spark plugs take? And when the valve cover is off it should be pretty easy to get the spark plugs out?
I appreciate your help.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

i think spark plugs are 14mm...........but i'm not sure that just sounds right, be very carefull putting them in and taking them out, as they are VERY easy to break.

this is what they make special spark plug sockets for.

and you can take them out after the VC is off, i wouldnt say its easier per say, maybe a little bit.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Theres only 2 standard sizes of sparkplug sockets - get the smaller one. A sparkplug socket hasa rubber collar inside to grab the plug & pull it out of the hole. Waybetter than using an ordinary deepwell socket.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I bought a Felpro gasket that comes w/ the spark plug tube seals, and some Platinum NGK plugs. Hopefully I can get this done on the weekend and notice a difference in performance and possibly mpg! I shall update!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

You also have lower sparkplug tube seals, #19 here, probably included in the Felpro set.

You have to remove the rockers & thecamshaft bearing caps to get those, so Id just save that for later. Fair chance that your oil is coming from the upper seals.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

One time I used a Felpro gasket it was just a bit too long. Needed some dexterity to get it in place because it wanted to bulge out of its groove in the valve cover.

Arrange the gasket so thebulge is at the front. Then you can set down the back side of the VC first, & push the front part of the gasket into place as you finish setting the VC down.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well my dad and I just replaced the Valve Cover gasket w/ a Felpro one and some Platnium NGK spark plugs. We found out that the reason why the socket wouldnt go down in the spark plug tube was because the gasket at the bottom of the plug wire tube had got stuck down there in two of the tubes. The only two tubes which had oil in them was the ones w/ the spark plug wire tube gasket stuck in them which seems odd to me.

Anyways, it went fine, and I am still letting the RTV setup/harden. Later I will let it idle/take it for a test drive and check for leaks. I also have almost a full tank of gas so I should be able to see if the new plugs will help any MPG wise. I appreciate the help guys!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well I had to fill up today. Had 297 miles on the trip odo, and put in 12.5 gallons which is roughly 23.7 mpg. Terrible. So the new plugs didnt help at all.

Quick Reply: Oil in spark plug tubes